Star Raider Trio to Test Parrish, Hoya Defense

This Saturday, the Hoyas will face another top Patriot League squad and the top rushing team in the Patriot League. Averaging an incredible 227 rushing yards per game, Colgate’s powerful ground game is led by junior tailback Nate Eachus and senior quarterback Greg Sullivan. The Raiders’ number-one receiver has been senior wide receiver Doug Rosnick. To keep this potent rushing game in check, Georgetown will need solid play from their defensive line and secondary, especially their leader, senior linebacker Nick Parrish.

Nate Eachus

The Georgetown defense will need to be very wary of Eachus, who received first-team all-conference honors last season and has already rushed for 426 yards and three touchdowns on 93 carries. Those numbers work out to an impressive 142 yards per game and 4.6 yards per carry. To put things in perspective, Georgetown’s top running back, Philip Oladeji, is averaging 4.9 yards per carry but has only toted the ball 41 times.

“They run the ball extremely well and were among the top rushing teams in the country last season. They control the football,” Head Coach Kevin Kelly said.

Eachus is coming off a huge performance in last week’s loss against Syracuse, an Football Bowl Division opponent, where he turned heads by running for 147 yards and a touchdown.

Greg Sullivan

While the Raiders are undoubtedly a ground-based offense, their quarterback still has the potential to make big plays. Sullivan was the 2010 preseason Patriot League offensive player of the year, possessing the ability to run and throw for big gains.

“Their quarterback and running back make that offense go,” Kelly said. “They are an option offense where they are a real ball control team.”

In just his sophomore season in 2008, Sullivan ran for 898 yards, the most rushing yardage by a quarterback in Colgate history. Last season, he added the touchdown pass to his repertoire, throwing 18 touchdowns while still running for 788 yards and seven touchdowns.

Sullivan has had a bit of difficulty throwing the football this season, though, as he has already thrown three interceptions, compared to only one touchdown. The quarterback is still running the ball effectively, however, leading Colgate with 4.7 yards per carry, and is tied for the team-high with three rushing touchdowns.

Doug Rosnick

When the Raiders take to the air, the Hoyas will have to pay special attention to Sullivan’s top target, senior wide receiver Doug Rosnick, whom Kelly called “definitely their go-to guy in the air.”

With 212 receiving yards, Rosnick has compiled almost two-thirds of Colgate’s receiving yards this season. The dangerous receiver also has recorded over half of Colgate’s receptions this season and their only touchdown catch on the year.

Nick Parrish

In order to stop Colgate’s physical running attack, the Hoyas are going to need the leadership of their two-time captain and all-time tackles leader, senior Nick Parrish.

“Nick is our leader. He has been the last couple years,” Kelly said.

When facing a difficult offense like Colgate’s option-based attack, the Hoyas will rely on Parrish to make the necessary defensive changes on the field.

“[Parrish] understands the defense real well and makes any adjustments on the field for us,” Kelly said.

This season Parrish is seventh on the team with 17.5 tackles, having passed Tom Wonica as Georgetown’s all-time tackles leader on Sept. 11 against Lafayette.

Last spring, his teammates voted that Parrish wear #35 in honor of former captain Joe Eacobacci, who died in the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001.

“Nick is irreplaceable really,” Kelly said. “He is the whole package.”