By Sean Gormley Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team put their foot down a third of the way through Wednesday’s game against Towson, which came after back-to-back losses to Princeton and Duke. After a slow start against the Tigers of Towson, the Hoyas scored the final nine goals of the game in a 15-4 victory that upped Georgetown’s record to 5-2.

Coming off a pair of tough losses, the Hoyas came up against a Tiger team that has struggled early in achieving a 2-5 record but features a talented goaltender in senior Jacquie Sica. Towson started off strong, and it was not until the final minutes of the first half that Georgetown took control of the game.

“We came out a little bit flat, especially defensively,” said Head Coach Kim Simons. “They scored in the first 25 seconds of the game, which is exactly what we didn’t want to do. We knew that if we let them in the game that they would give us some trouble, which is exactly what happened.”

Towson opened the game with two quick scores, but Georgetown responded with three unanswered goals, taking the lead from the Tigers, which they would never see again. Two of the Hoyas’ first three goals came from sophomore All-American attack Erin Elbe, who finished the day with three goals and two assists, raising her points per game average to 3.0.

Towson responded to tie up the game, but Georgetown wasted no time retaking the lead, with senior attack Kristen Baer driving through the Tigers’ defense for an unassisted goal just 20 seconds later. Within a minute the Hoyas found the back of the net again, with sophomore attacker Kate Ahearn scoring off an assist from junior attacker Sheehan Stanwick.

After the scoring frenzy calmed for a couple of minutes, Georgetown got back on the board by way of the Stanwick special. Freshman attack Wick scored the first of her two goals off of a feed from older sister Sheehan, widening the Hoyas’ lead to three, 6-3. The duo combined for seven points against Towson, outscoring Towson with five goals and adding a pair of assists against the beleaguered Tiger defense.

“Wick has really turned it on in the last week. She had a really bad ankle sprain that set her back a couple of weeks . She was acting like she wasn’t hurt, but she has really been favoring that ankle,” Simons said. “I am sensing the difference in her the last couple of days and thought she had a really good game against Towson. There’s a different chemistry when Wick’s in there, because of her sister. They have played together for a long time and are hard to defend.”

Towson tried to climb back into the game, scoring on a free position shot with nine minutes left in the first half, but it would be the last time they would find the back of the net on the afternoon. Backup goalie Chandler Vicchio came into the game to give starter Bowen Holden a rest. Sheehan Stanwick, who had three goals and two assists on the day, and Elbe each scored late in the first to give Georgetown an 8-4 lead headed into the half.

“Chandler Vicchio has done a great job – she’s got a 100 percent save percentage. Yesterday, she came in with eight minutes left in the first half and made a couple of saves. It is a change for us to have a second keeper available in tight situations who can make saves,” Simons said.

The second half started much like the first had ended, with the Hoyas in solid command of the game. Six goals in the first eight minutes of the half turned a solid lead into a blowout. The Hoyas cruised home to victory, controlling the ball for the final 20 minutes in a game in which the team spread the ball around all day. Five players scored multiple times and eight total players found their way into the back of the Towson net, a solid team effort.

“For the last week and a half, we have stressed team-oriented play, and we still have a ways to go, but I think we are making strides in the right direction with that,” said Simons. “As individual players, we have seen a lot of development and improvement, but we still need work in the team concept: team offense and team defense . I think that the Princeton and Duke losses exposed that in terms of our weakness team-wise, defensively.”

“We have been beating ourselves as much as anything. Once we got ourselves sorted out, it was almost as if there was no one else on the field,” Simons added. “The best part about yesterday’s game was that when the defense had some trouble, the attack kept playing hard and took control, unlike what happened against Duke. The offense really helped turn it around.”

Offense is the heart and soul of this team, and when the attack struggles, so do the Hoyas.

“In the Duke game, we were outshot by a lot. And with the attackers we have, we should never be outshot. We really should be putting the ball in cage a lot more than we were. People like Sheehan Stanwick had four shots, and we can’t win like that,” coach Simons said.

Against Towson, offensive production was not a problem, as the Hoyas outshot the Tigers 41-16, scoring almost as many goals as the Tigers had shots. The only thing that kept Towson in the game was their netminder, Jacquie Sica. “Towson’s goalkeeper is one of the best in the country . She made some saves on point-blank shots,” Simons said.

The role players are key to the Hoyas’ success, as the offensive stars on the team need solid play at the opposite end of the field.

“Kathy Haybeck has had a really nice season so far as a junior defender,” Simons said. “Kristin Baer has continued to do a lot of good things for us at midfield. She’s our workhorse out there.”

On the team’s goaltending, Simons said “Bowen is improving. She has never had a fall season with us, so she has really just been thrown into game situations for two years. Bowen’s a competitor. She’s had ups and downs, but she’ll work through it.”

Next up for Georgetown is Rutgers, who travels to the Hilltop to take on the Hoyas Saturday at 11:30 a.m. on Kehoe Field. After the Scarlet Knights, Notre Dame visits the hilltop next week in the second of a three-game homestand that concludes with powerhouse North Carolina visiting Georgetown.

“Both Rutgers and Notre Dame are good enough and capable of giving us a game if we don’t play hard enough and we don’t play well,” Simons said. “We are focusing on the little things we need to do to make ourselves a better team.”

Related Links

Women’s Lacrosse Page-Women’s Lacrosse Schedule