Spring Break No Vacation For Hoyas

Hoyas Struggle in Florida Matches

By Steve Harris Hoya Staff Writer

Spring break in South Florida proved to be no vacation for the Georgetown men’s tennis team. It managed just one win in four matches on the trip, adding yet another loss this past weekend against Big East-rival St. John’s.

The men began the break with a 7-0 loss to Louisiana-Monroe arch 6 in Coral Gables, Fla.

Early on, the Hoyas found themselves in trouble as they lost all three doubles matches. Georgetown’s freshmen tandem of Marc Lohser and Troy Crichlow had their serve broken twice and ultimately fell 8-6 to Louisiana-Monroe’s Robert Bailey and Bartosz Dabrowski at the No. 1 position. Meanwhile, senior Dave Boyer and sophomore Ken Jordan fell by an identical 8-6 score at No. 3 doubles.

Georgetown, already trailing entering the singles competition, was quickly overwhelmed by Louisiana-Monroe. Sophomore Andre Benjamin was the only Hoya to win a set, but he was defeated, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2 by Dabrowski at No. 2 singles.

On March 7, the men rebounded from their loss to Louisiana-Monroe with a 5-2 victory over Boston University at the North Miami Tennis Center. Georgetown captured the doubles point by taking two of the three matches. At No. 2 doubles, sophomores Nick Sklavounos and Benjamin defeated Boston’s Jonathan Mofsky and Ambreen Moosa 8-5, while Georgetown’s Boyer and Jordan were victorious 8-2 over Ramy Frem and Deblank at the No. 3 spot.

The Hoyas added to their early lead with solid singles play. Senior captain Beau Brewer won 6-1, 6-1 against Moosa at the No. 6 spot. At No. 5 singles, Lohser contributed a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Deblank. Crichlow sealed the win for Georgetown with a 6-1, 6-1 triumph over Mofsky at No. 4, while Sklavounos added another point with a 6-4, 6-1 victory against Koetzke at the No. 1 position.

The win against Boston would be the last taste of victory for the Hoyas on this trip. On March 9, Georgetown was shutout 7-0 by Lynn University in Boca Raton, Fla. The Hoyas put up little fight in the doubles competition, managing to win only three games during the three doubles matches.

Georgetown stepped up its play at singles, yet produced few results. Only Lohser, at No. 5 singles, was able to extend his match to a third set. However, he stumbled after winning the first set, falling 6-7 (7-5), 6-2, 6-1 to Lynn’s Sergio Sancho.

In their final match of the trip, the men next took on Barry University March 11 in Miami Shores, Fla. It was a sour ending for the men, as again they were shutout 7-0. The bright spot in the match for Georgetown came from the play of Boyer and Jordan at No. 3 doubles, where they fought hard but ultimately lost 9-7 to Barry’s Perry Bakst and Phillipe Lancombe. The Hoyas improved their play at singles, but again were unable to produce any wins.

This past Saturday, the Hoyas added to their woes with yet another 7-0 loss. This time it was at the hands of St. John’s in Flushing Meadows, N.Y. It was a similar story for Georgetown as the men demonstrated improved play but failed to produce victories.

In the doubles competition that opened the match, Georgetown received a win at the No. 2 spot from the tandem of Sklavounos and Benjamin. They were 9-7 winners over St. John’s Cameron Lore and Christian Carrere. However, the Red Storm captured the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 positions.

St. John’s then proceeded to win all six singles matches. Nearly all of the matches were closely contested. The best opportunities for Georgetown victories came at No. 2 and No. 5 singles. At the No. 2 spot, Georgetown’s Lohser fell in a well-played match 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) to St. John’s Jaideep Shetty, while at the No. 5 position, Benjamin was narrowly defeated 6-7, 6-2, 6-4 by Jake axwell.

With a 1-4 record over the past two weeks, the men fell to 3-11 overall. This week, the Hoyas will play host to George Mason on Thursday at 2:30 p.m., Hampton Saturday at 11:00 a.m. and Duquesne Sunday at 10:00 a.m. All matches will be played at the McDonough Courts.