Senior point guard Kevin Braswell and sophomore forward Mike Sweetney were nominated, along with 50 other preseason candidates, for the John R. Wooden Award, given to the men’s college basketball player of the year.

Braswell received Second Team All-Big East honors for the 2000-01 season, during which he averaged a team high 6.1 assists per game and became Georgetown’s all-time leader in career steals, averaging 2.9 per game.

Sweetney was selected to the Big East All-Rookie team and was an Honorable Mention All-Big East choice. He led the Hoyas in both scoring with 12.8 points per game and rebounding with 7.4 per game. He was also selected to the U.S. World University Games team, which won the gold medal in its competition in Japan.

Fellow Big East candidates for the Wooden Award, named for the former UCLA head coach, include Boston College junior guard Troy Bell, Syracuse senior forward Preston Shumpert and Connecticut sophomore forward Caron Butler.

Dusseau, Doyle Named to U.S. Team; Hoyas in MLL

Senior midfielder Steve Dusseau and former Hoya midfielder Scott Doyle (MSB ’01) were selected to the 2002 U. S. Men’s Lacrosse Team. The team is made up of 23 players selected from a group of 121 who participated in a three-day try out and will compete in the 2002 International Lacrosse Federation World Championship in Perth, Australia, next summer.

Dusseau led the Hoyas in points with 50 on the season. His 38 goals set the school record for goals by a midfielder in a season. He was a finalist for the Tewaaraton Trophy, given to the best men’s collegiate lacrosse player and was named Eastern College Athletic Conference Offensive Player of the Year. He is one of eight active collegiate players on the U.S. team.

In Doyle’s final season on the Hilltop, he scored 30 goals as one of the team’s tri-captains. After graduating in May, he was drafted by the Boston Cannons in the 2001 Major League Lacrosse draft as the 20th pick overall.

Doyle was selected along with fellow former Hoyas Mike Henehan, who also was picked by the Cannons, and Rodger Colbert, drafted by the Bridgeport Barrage. Doyle, Colbert and Henehan were the three captains of the Hoyas in 2001, leading them to their fifth-straight NCAA tournament appearance.

O’Connell Helps Junior National Track Team With 800m Victory In Meet Against Great Britain

Sophomore Georgetown track team member Jesse O’Connell, participating in the USA-Great Britain Juniors dual meet in Stoke-on-Trent, England, won the 800-meter race. His victory helped Team USA capture the overall victory over Great Britain, 201-176. O’Connell turned in a time of 1:49.53, just beating Great Britain’s Chris Stoves, who came in at 1:50.23.

The meet was part of the USA Junior Tour, in which 64 American track and field athletes are competing in Great Britain. Nineteen of the participants, including O’Connell are going on to compete in the Edinbugh International Games in Edinburgh, Scotland tomorrow. The Games will involve teams from Scotland, Ireland and Wales.