Men’s Head Basketball Coach Craig Esherick announced this week that senior guard Kevin Braswell, junior forward Courtland Freeman and senior team manager Ryan Growney (MSB ’01) will serve as captains for the 2001-2002 season.

This will be Braswell’s second consecutive year as captain after serving with Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje (COL ’01) as co-captains last year. He is a national player of the year candidate and a four-year-starter for the Hoyas, as well as the all-time assists leader for the school. He is the only senior on the squad. He was named to the second team All-Big East last season, during which he averaged 11.5 points per game.

Freeman sat out much of his sophomore season with back and foot injuries that limited his playing time to virtually none. He came off the becnh his freshman year, averaging 3.1 points and rebounds per game in 14.1 minutes. He is one of two Hoyas in his third year of eligibility and is slated to back up sophomore center Wesley Wilson and sophomore forward Michael Sweetney at the center and power forward positions.

Growney has been a manager throughout his Georgetown career and is a Las Vegas native.

– Tim Sullivan

Holden Honored by NCAA

Former Georgetown women’s lacrosse goalkeeper Bowen Holden has been awarded the 2001 NCAA Woman of the Year award for the District of Columbia. Holden, who graduated in May, is the second consecutive recipient of the award to come from Georgetown. The award is given to female athletes who have excelled in academics, athletics and community leadership.