Spiders Nag Hoyas In Crushing Defeat

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown men’s tennis team couldn’t stop the bleeding that began over a month ago as their losing streak hit double digits over the weekend after a decisive 5-1 loss to the Richmond Spiders. While the Hoyas have been stuck at the three-win mark since March 9, they have since seen their loss total skyrocket to 18.

Richmond opened the match by capturing the doubles point with wins at the No. 1 and No. 2 slots. The Hoyas’ No. 1 tandem of freshman Marc Lohser and senior Beau Brewer lost 9-8 by virtue of a tiebreaker, while sophomores Nick Sklavounos and Andre Benjamin never found their groove in an 8-2 loss at the No. 2 position.

Sophomore Ken Jordan and senior doubles specialist Dave Boyer won at the No. 3 doubles position for the fourth time in five matches, but their efforts went for naught as the Spiders came away with the doubles point.

The Spiders built upon the momentum from their doubles victories during the singles matches, taking four out of five. Jordan won his second match of the day at No. 6 singles, whipping Spider John Oxley 6-2, 6-2 in straight sets. Lohser captured the first set at No. 2 singles 6-3, but dropped the next two sets in the contest’s only three-set match. Sklavounos, Brewer and Benjamin each lost in straight sets at the No. 1, No. 4 and No. 5 slots, respectively.

The Hoyas’ continue their seemingly endless quest for win number four this Wednesday when they play host to cross-town rival George Washington this Wednesday at McDonough Courts.