Image Contributor
Sophomore quarterback Keerome Lawrence

An away contest with the No. 9 team in the Football Championship Subdivision on its homecoming weekend is hardly the cure-all remedy for a 1-5 football team.

Unfortunately, a schedule completed years in advance did not grant Georgetown a favor with the University of Richmond. The Spiders’ lone setbacks this season have come against resurgent I-A Virginia as well as Villanova and James Madison, both ranked in the I-AA top 25. Georgetown labored to its sixth straight loss in front of 5,1986 fans at UR Stadium, losing 48-0.

“They’re a full scholarship football program, and we’re a non-scholarship, so as far as the size and speed, those guys are borderline I-A football players, and our guys are I-AA players,” Hoya Head Coach Kevin Kelly said. “There was a difference in the size and speed aspect.”

The euphoria felt from the team’s season-opening victory over Howard now seems like a distant memory. Georgetown’s offensive troubles continued as the Blue and Gray tallied only 88 yards of total offense, four first downs and turned the ball over four times. Eighty yards on 37 carries came on the ground, and only eight came through the air. Sophomore slotback Philip Oladeji led the team with eight carries for 35 yards.

The Spiders seized momentum early in the game to quash any thought of a Hoya upset. Georgetown freshman quarterback James Brady’s first pass of the game was intercepted by Richmond junior defensive back Michael Ireland at the 21-yard line and returned to the four-yard line. Richmond junior quarterback Eric Ward rushed for a one-yard Spider score on the second play from scrimmage.

Just 92 seconds into the game, Richmond seized a 7-0 lead, and the first half featured more Spider dominance. Richmond added a touchdown and a field goal in the second quarter before Georgetown junior defensive end Chudi Obianwu intercepted a pass from Ward to provide a spark of energy for the Hoyas.

However, a resilient Spider defense forced a Georgetown three and out and a subsequent punt. After a methodical 11-play, 77-yard drive, Richmond took a 24-0 advantage into the locker room.

Through the first half, Richmond had 40 plays and tallied 279 yards of total offense, while Georgetown could only muster 20 yards on 21 yards. The Hoyas had incredible difficulty matching the size and speed of Richmond, an emerging powerhouse in the Football Championship Subdivision.

Richmond scored three more times in the third quarter, and added another score in the fourth quarter to finish the game at 48-0. Senior defensive tackle Anthony DiTommaso registered a game-high 10 tackles, while junior defensive back Travis Mack added seven tackles to help the cause.

Kelly was able to see bright spots in the team’s performance: “I really liked the way they played the whole game. They didn’t quit. They were enthusiastic about the guys that were playing. We played almost everybody that was there. It’s character building, and I think they will all be winners in the end.”

Georgetown resumes Patriot League play this weekend with a battle against the Lehigh Mountain Hawks at the Multi-Sport Field.

“You’ve got to be careful about records. They’re a pretty good 2-5 football team. We can’t look past anybody,” Kelly said.

Lehigh is 1-1 and in a tie for fourth place in the Patriot League. Last year, the Hoyas were on the wrong end of a 45-0 pasting when they visited the Mountain Hawks in Bethlehem, Pa.

Kickoff Saturday is set for 1 p.m.