Following a year as a freshman class representative to the Georgetown University Student Association, Matt Payne (COL ’01) is running for the district 2E05 seat on the Georgetown Advisory Neighborhood Commission, which includes all of Village C, the Jesuit Residence, Alumni Square and various endowment and permanent resident houses on the 1300 and 1400 blocks between N Street and Wisconsin Avenue. Competing against a write-in candidate, Roberto Coquis, Payne is the only undergraduate student running for one of the [six two-year term positions](http://www.thehoya.com/news/lippert-bids-for-anc-spot-in-next-election/). Completing their terms on the ANC this year are Rebecca Sinderbrand (COL ’99) in 2E03, which includes Burleith, and James Fogarty (COL ’98) in 2E05. Centering his platform on the safety of the community and the improvement of community-university relations, Payne said, “Relations have been improving in the past two years and I am dedicated to improving them even more. There doesn’t need to be friction between the community and the university.” Payne said the university and the community should be able to benefit from one another. The community can utilize the university’s library, athletic fields, lawns and open spaces, according to Payne, and the university enjoys the atmosphere of the area, its permanent residents and its safety. Safety, though, is one issue which still needs improvement, Payne said. By working closely with D.C. Metropolitan Police Lt. Patrick Burke of Patrol Service Area 206, increasing lighting and placing more signs in the area, Payne said he believes an even higher level of safety could be achieved in Georgetown. The new university-funded signs, he said, “are a wonderful donation of the university to the community and hopefully it will make the police’s job easier and it will improve neighbor relations.” Also, he said, the university’s new dorm will help improve neighbor relations as “it will provide housing for students who want it for all four years,” and cases of students disruptive to the neighborhood stand to diminish further. He added that the new dorm is the best solution to the housing debate that became heated last year with the proposal of the zoning overlay which required that no more than three unrelated people could live together in non-university housing. “The zoning overlay is a discriminatory piece of legislation and that is why it didn’t pass,” Payne said. “The current limit of six people is fine; there should be no adjustment to that.” Payne said that in addition, he would like [to see Georgetown cleaner](http://www.thehoya.com/news/students-residents-clean-up-georgetown/), with more decent-looking garbage receptacles on the street corners and fewer cigarette butts and other pieces of litter on the streets. “As an ANC commissioner and a student of Georgetown, I will be sensitive to the concerns of the residents and I will be willing to work with the university administration, but in no way am I here to simply rubber-stamp all their plans,” Payne said. “One of the main reasons why my candidacy has been relatively non-controversial is because Rebecca and James have done such a great job, and that’s another reason that I’m so optimistic about being an ANC commissioner.” Sinderbrand is assistant news editor for The Hoya.