The oldest Chime, Frank Jones, at 88 years old, knows the youngest Chime, Max Stoiber (SFS ’11). Alumni fly in to sing at monthly Chimes nights at The Tombs and invite the current “Actives” to sing at weddings and at office Christmas parties. The Chimes are relatively unique in their ability to retain involvement with their alumni.

This engagement of former Chimes has yielded the group and its alumni enormous benefits. The knowledge, resources and friendship of the alumni of almost every club at Georgetown are all too often lost once they walk through Healy gates.

By keeping alumni involved, the Chimes have remained an active and flourishing campus group and have created a tradition that isn’t going anywhere. Every year, the Chimes have an annual reunion in Cape May, N.J., where Chimes alumni from the group’s inception in the 1940s through to the active membership of today meet for fun, food and song. Approximately 60 Chimes show up and many bring their wives, their children and even their dogs. During the retreat, they discuss the upcoming year, finances and other key Chimes business, but more importantly, they build friendships between generations of Chimes and engender a sense of ongoing involvement with alumni.

It’s important to remember that when many people leave this school, it’s not the classes they miss – it’s the community and the world that they built for themselves here through student organizations, activities and friends. If campus groups reached out to alumni, they could not only give back in wisdom and experience but also, perhaps, in donations to the university.

The Chimes’ success in alumni relations is unique, and other clubs at Georgetown can learn from this culture of inclusion and continuity. Such a pursuit would not only benefit clubs but would aid the whole Georgetown network, which we sometimes forget includes those who have left our campus.