SOFTBALL | GU Swept in Doubleheader

Despite a strong effort in the first game of their doubleheader, the Georgetown softball team (15-25, 0-8 Big East) came up empty in Wednesday’s contests at Big East rival Pittsburgh and have now lost eight of their last nine games.

The Hoyas, still searching for their first league win, came out strong in the early stages of the first game. With junior catcher Shikara Lowe on first and sophomore left fielder Taylor Koenig on second, senior designated hitter Mackensey Carter’s single and a throwing error by Pittsburgh third baseman Kelly Hmiel let Koenig score, putting Georgetown up, 1-0, after the top of the third inning.

But the Panthers had the Blue and Gray’s measure and earned back-to-back singles in the bottom of the third, and Hmiel made up for her earlier error by drilling a two-RBI triple to give Pittsburgh the lead.

Georgetown couldn’t respond, and the game ended with another frustrating one-run loss for theHoyas.

That frustration carried over to the second game, which went the Panthers’ way right from the start. Georgetown freshman pitcher Megan Hyson, who has been a consistent force for the Hoyas all season, struggled in her outing Wednesday evening. Hyson pitched only one inning against Pitt and was pulled after giving up a quick three runs.

Georgetown’s bats were even worse, though, managing only one hit, while Pittsburgh scored 11 runs on 11 hits through five innings.

The Hoyas are left still seeking their first Big East win, and they have their best opportunity to earn it when they head to New York City to take on St. John’s. The Red Storm have two Big East wins thus far on the year and a worse overall record than the Hoyas.

The Johnnies are led by junior shortstop Chrissy Montez and senior center fielder Kristi Cady, but the team lacks a strong pitching staff, which will give a good chance for the Hoyas to take advantage on offense. But to translate that into a win, Georgetown’s pitchers will need solid seven-inning outings to control the games from the beginning.

The first game of the three-game series will begin at noon tomorrow in Queens.