SOFTBALL | GU Rolls Past Tigers, Hopes to Down Friars

After notching their first two Big East wins last weekend, the Georgetown softball team (17-26, 2-9 Big East) stayed on a roll against Towson (20-23, 5-7 CAA) Thursday when they knocked off the Tigers, 3-1, in an extra-innings thriller.

Senior pitcher Mackensey Carter started in the circle for the Blue and Gray and put forth one of her best starts this season, especially with runners on base. Despite giving up nine hits, the senior allowed only one base runner to score, when Towson got on the board first with a run in the second inning.

Thanks to a Towson error, the Hoyas were able to tie it up in the fifth. And Carter shined in the bottom of the seventh with the game tied at one apiece. The Tigers had a runner on second with two outs, but Carter locked down and forced a ground ball that sent the game into extra innings.

The Hoyas put the game away in the eighth, when junior catcher Shikara Lowe walked and subsequently scored on a double from senior right fielder Cara Savarese. But Georgetown wasn’t done, as sophomore second baseman Hannah Slovacek’s single brought around Savarese to give the Hoyas insurance going into the bottom of the eighth. Carter allowed one hit but was able to finish the game unscathed with the Hoyas on top.

The Hoyas have today off before they head to Guy Mason Field tomorrow for a date with Providence (14-28, 5-8 Big East), as Georgetown looks to keep its Big East tournament hopes alive.

The Hoyas’ pitching will be a vital part of this weekend’s results. Because none of the Friars is currently hitting .300, freshmen pitchers Megan Hyson and Lauren O’Leary should be able to continue their success in the circle, giving the Hoyas a good chance of earning the win.

“In order for our pitchers to maximize their innings pitched, we need to throw first pitch strikes, stay ahead in the count and keep our pitch counts low,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said.

The Hoyas can also show off their offense against the Friars, who have struggled with pitching as well. Georgetown’s bats have at times caused trouble for opponents this season. If numerous batters can get on base this weekend, the Hoyas have a chance to get closer to their goal of the Big East tournament.

“I thought we played with a great deal of confidence against St. John’s,” Conlan said. “If we can bring that same attitude to the Providence games, I like our chances.”

First pitch is set for noon tomorrow at Guy Mason Field.