After a series of losses against Big East foe Butler, the Georgetown women’s softball team (11-36, 4-16 Big East) has ended its season on a 15-game losing streak. In a season marked by close losses due to an inability to convert hits into runs, the Hoyas finished last in a conference led by St. John’s.
Reminiscent of the softball team’s nine wins to 35 losses in the 2016 season, the Hoyas failed to improve and concluded another season at the bottom of their conference.
Heading into the beginning of the 2017 season, the Blue and Gray had a nearly even split of experienced players and newcomers on the team, with nine returning players to balance out the seven new additions. To kick off the season, the team made the trip to Miami for the Felsburg Invitational.
The invitational, however, served as an omen of the months ahead for the Hoyas. Playing in five games over the course of two days, the Hoyas did not pull off a single win. This trajectory continued into the following week, as Georgetown traveled to South Carolina for the USC Upstate/Furman Classic. Again, the Hoyas lost every matchup they entered, including two 9-0 losses to Colgate and USC Upstate.
Georgetown’s prospects improved as it went on to tally three wins in the East Madeira Invite, and another in the Texas A&M Invitational. All of these wins, however, were within a point of swinging the other way, an indicator of how tight this season was for the Hoyas.
Entering Big East play against Creighton, the Blue and Gray stood at 7-16 in season play. The series against Creighton started out promising, with Georgetown taking the first game before ultimately dropping the series. This pattern repeated itself in a later Big East series against Seton Hall, in which the Hoyas were able to rack up six points and hold their opponents to just one in their first outing. In the very next game, however, Georgetown fell 10-2 before losing another game and, ultimately, the series.
This losing skid remained consistent for the entirety of Georgetown’s season. Following its April 8 win against Seton Hall, the team went on a 15-game losing streak, unable to win another game for the rest of the season.
One of the Hoyas’ biggest struggles this season was converting hits into big plays when the team needed them most.
“Sadly, that’s been the theme of our year, we out-hit a lot of people. Unfortunately, our hits are not necessarily always clutch hits. When we play really well, it just feels like some higher power doesn’t want Georgetown to win softball games,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said.
Georgetown saw top three-worthy performances individually from several of its players this season. Sophomore infielder Mallory Belknap finished out the year in third place for individual batting in the Big East with a .376 average. Additionally, Belknap was second in the Big East for hits, averaging 1.33 hits per game. Junior outfielder Theresa Kane is tied for the lead in Big East standings for triples with four triples and tied for third in bases stolen.
“Usually, between [Kane] and [Belknap], whenever anything good happens on our offense those two are usually involved,” Conlan said of her team’s leaders.
Another consistent presence for the Hoyas this season was freshman  pitcher Anna Brooks Pacha. Brooks Pacha, who dominated time spent in the circle for Georgetown, is third in the Big East for innings pitched and second for total strikeouts, with an average of 8.01 per game.
“She has been our go-to pitcher; she’s shouldered quite a bit of a load for us this year, and we’ve been very fortunate to have someone of her pitching caliber be able to do that,” Conlan said. “She has an excellent skill set, but she’s still a freshman and still learning how to compete in a college game and win games. I have no doubt that she’s going to have a fantastic career, and she’s already off to a good start.”
Despite the Blue and Gray’s poor record, Conlan insists that many of Georgetown’s games this season were very competitive and that there was more to her team’s performances than meets the eye.
Speaking to the discrepancy between her team’s level of play and its record, Conlan pointed to the difficulty of putting every aspect of a winning game together at the same time.
“I think we’ve been playing well this year,” Conlan said. “But there’s always just one part of our game that’s not as good as the others, and that’s what’s been our Achilles’ heel.”