Softball | GU Falls to GMU in 10-Inning Pitchers’ Duel

In its 10th-straight loss, the Georgetown women’s softball team fell to George Mason University 2-1 on Wednesday.

The game went to extra innings as the Hoyas (11-31) attempted to defeat the Patriots (19-26) in their final nonconference game of the season.

Freshman Anna Brooks Pacha has been a constant on the rubber for the Blue and Gray this season, starting off the game pitching for Georgetown and striking out four batters.

“She has been our go-to pitcher, she’s shouldered quite a bit of a load for us this year and we’ve been very fortunate to have someone of her pitching caliber be able to do that,” Head Coach Pat Conlan said. “She has an excellent skill set, but she’s still a freshman and still learning how to compete in a college game and win games. I have no doubt that she’s going to have a fantastic career, and she’s already off to a good start.”

For much of the drawn-out game, both Georgetown and George Mason remained scoreless as they attempted to gain the competitive advantage over each other.

“Well for me, those are the best games,” Conlan said. “Very cutthroat, every play matters. It was a really good game to be part of, and I’m absolutely heartbroken over how it ended. But we played well, and it’s hard to keep saying that we’re doing really good things and then coming away without a W.”

The action ramped up in the eighth inning, as junior Theresa Kane reached home plate on an error. Kane’s performance came after noteworthy performances against DePaul and Virginia, managing four hits in both games and earning a spot on the Big East Weekly Honor Roll.

“Theresa has been a great centerfielder for us this year, she runs everything down, she makes huge defensive plays,” Conlan said. “She seems to come up with a big hit and a big play when we really need it. She is usually, between her and Mallory [Belknap], whenever anything good happens on our offense those two are usually involved. So she’s a fun player to watch.”

After sophomore Sarah Bennett hit a double, senior Hannah Ramsey reached home and tallied the first score of the game for either team. With a point finally on the board against a difficult pitcher, Coach Conlan noted a shift in the team’s mood

“We had been struggling with their pitcher the whole game,” Conlan said. “Got some sporadic hits, but were never able to do anything. So that was a big hit for us and to take the lead, everyone felt confident like ok, let’s go take this game.”

George Mason rallied in the eighth inning with two scores of its own. The Hoyas outhit the Patriots 6-5 in the loss, but were unable to top George Mason’s two runs. Bennett managed two hits, while sophomore Mallory Belknap, freshman Sera Stevens, sophomore Olivia Russ and freshman Ciara Sullivan each had one.

Coming into the game against George Mason, Belknap led the Big East in hitting, boasting 56 hits and a second-place .392 batting average.

This difficulty converting hits into scores has been a common theme in Georgetown’s season, and the team is looking to reverse that trend heading into its weekend series against St. John’s.

“Sadly, that’s been the theme of our year, we outhit a lot of people,” Conlan said. “Unfortunately, our hits are not necessarily always clutch hits. So that’s the unfortunate part is that we threw a really solid ballgame, our team played really well defensively, it’s just somebody doesn’t want Georgetown to win games. It’s been a struggle this year.”

Looking forward to the weekend series against Big East Conference leader St. John’s, Conlan holds faith in her team’s ability to compete.

“I love my kids’ fight, I love their energy. St. John’s is sitting at the top of the conference for a reason. We have to make sure that we play to the best of our ability to be able to compete,” Conlan said.

Georgetown travels to face off against St. Johns this weekend, with a doubleheader kicking off Saturday, April 29 and another game slotted for noon on Sunday, April 30.