A difficult season keeps getting worse for the Hoyas. The Blue and Gray dropped two Big East matches over the weekend to extend their losing streak to seven. Georgetown has lost 14 of its last 15 contests.

Friday night the Hoyas entered Joyce Athletic and Convocation Center for a bout with the Fighting Irish, and left holding their tails in an Irish romp, 16-30, 20-30 and 14-30. Notre Dame improved to 10-12 (6-5 Big East).

The Blue and Gray got off to a slow start, dropping 10 of 14 points in the first game. Georgetown fought back with a 7-4 run to close the gap to 14-11 on a kill from sophomore middle blocker Katherine Niesen, but Notre Dame won the next four points and easily pulled away for the 30-16 set win.

In the second set, the Irish opened the flood gates by taking the first eight points and then orchestrating an 11-2 run to take a 19-5 advantage. The spurt caused the Hoyas to take a timeout, and after the short respite Georgetown showed signs of life with a 9-5 run.

Blocks from Niesen and junior setter Caitlin Boland keyed the Hoyas’ rally, and forced the Irish to call a timeout. Georgetown continued its comeback bid by taking five of the next nine points, capped by a four-point spurt on serves from sophomore outside hitter Kortney Robinson. However, the hole proved too much to recover from and Notre Dame took the second game, 30-20.

In the third and final game the Irish reeled off 13 of 18 points after a 2-2 start to cruise to the 30-14 set win and victory. The senior tandem of outside hitter Adrianna Stasiuk and setter Ashley Tarutis led Notre Dame with a combination of fiery offense and precise passing. Stasiuk registered 14 kills and 10 digs, and Tarutis posted 38 assists and added 10 digs while the Irish offense hit an efficient .395 attack percentage.

Sophomore outside hitter Dana Dumas led the Hoyas with six kills and a .167 hitting percentage, and Robinson supported the Hoya cause with three service aces and three digs. Georgetown hit .031 as a team.

“We played a very strong Notre Dame team tonight,” Head Coach Arlisa Hagan Williams said. “Kortney Robinson served very well and competitively.”

The Hoyas then looked to a Sunday matchup against the DePaul Blue Demons (6-19, 1-10) at McGrath Arena in Chicago, Ill., but little seemed different in a disappointing loss. Dumas led the team with 14 kills and a .281 hitting percentage, and Robinson was not far behind with nine kills and a .207 attack percentage. Also, junior setter Caitlin Boland recorded a double double with a strong effort of 31 assists and 13 digs.

In the first set, a kill from Dumas gave Georgetown a 5-4 lead, and two squads continued to trade points as neither team led by more than a point until a kill from sophomore outside hitter Jessica Hardy and a blocking effort from Niesen, which gave the Blue and Gray a 19-17 lead. The two-point advantage prompted a Blue Demon timeout, and afterward DePaul took control. Tied at 24, Georgetown lost the lead on an error and back-to-back kills from DePaul. The Blue Demons took set one as a result of two consecutive errors from GU.

In the second set, the Blue and Gray were knocked down quickly as DePaul quickly captured a 9-2 lead. The Blue Demons lengthened their advantage to 17-8, but the Hoyas pulled within five. DePaul increased its lead to eight, but Georgetown rallied behind the efforts of Niesen, Hardy, Boland and Robinson to take a 24-23 advantage. But, riding the serve of sophomore outside hitter Sarah Cullen, DePaul took the next five points and complete control. The Blue Demons took game two, 30-26.

In the third set, DePaul took a quick lead, 13-3, and continued to extend it to 12 points, 23-11, before the second timeout from Georgetown. The Blue and Gray staged a small rally of four points, but the Blue Demons fought off the pesky Hoyas to win game three, 30-19.

This Friday Georgetown finally returns home after a four-game road trip when the Hoyas host No. 22 St. John’s in Big East play. The match is set for 8 p.m.