Site Aids in Job Hunt

With upperclassmen frantically attending info sessions and interviews to secure their future careers after college, the website Jobbook has found its target audience.

The student-run site, intended to help colleges students find jobs that match their interests, garnered over 3,500 members in its first day launch across the United States and Canada Monday.

“Our aim is to provide our members with the chance to find opportunities both locally and globally,” said Zach Newburgh, a site co-founder and vice president for university relations. “Students from the D.C. area will be excited to see jobs that will start to pop up on their profiles within the next few weeks.”

The organization uses a tailored matching system to help students find jobs that fit their individual preferences. The founders compared the process to a dating service, since students select the types of jobs in which they are interested and are then matched to occupations for which they qualify.

For Newburgh, having an entirely student-run site gives the company a better understanding of its target market.

“The benefit is primarily that we know what students and recent graduates are looking for,” Newburgh said. “We are a team of students who want to make an impact on the lives of our friends and family by helping them find internships and employment.”

The launch of the website puts the organization in competition with Georgetown’s Student Employment Office, which also seeks to help current students find employment within the university and surrounding neighborhoods, but utilizes a more general method for listing jobs.

“It’s a resource for students and faculty, but I would say it’s more of a resource to faculty, because students don’t oftentimes get anything. [They] don’t secure a position from applying to a lot of the positions that they see on our websites,” Gretta Digbeu (COL ’13), clinical assistant at SEO, said.

Jobbook also hopes to help provide employment beyond the Hilltop that is geared more toward one’s intended career field.

“This website will give opportunities for students who are really motivated, who really want to find a job by themselves,” Conway Yao (SFS ’14) said. “I think that it’s good that students have tools that, if they have the initiative, they can use them.”