Charles Nailen/The Hoya Despite strong individual performances, the Hoyas fell this weekend.

After a strong showing against Georgia Southern and the University of Delaware last week, the Georgetown men’s and women’s swimming teams were unable to duplicate their success in McCarthy Natatorium on Saturday against Binghamton and Seton Hall. The men fell 122-114 to Binghamton and were soundly defeated 154-86 by Seton Hall, while the women also lost both competitions, 124-113 to Binghamton and a 118-117 decision to Seton Hall.

“We’re energetic and hardworking, but we’re lacking a little confidence,” Head Coach Bethany Bower said of her women’s squad. “We’re young and inexperienced. There were some races we could have won and should have won but didn’t.” Bower, however, was nonetheless very pleased with the promising results.

The 200 free relay was a highlight for Georgetown. The team, seniors Liz D’Auria, Erin Lenahan and Fransesca DiSilvio and freshman Katie Amaro, turned in a time of 1:44.27 to edge Binghamton for first place by 0.1 second.

Individually, several sophomores swam very well for Georgetown. Diane Foglizzo had two excellent times, in the 100-yard breaststroke and the 200-yard individual medley, earning her first and fourth place finishes, respectively. Annie Moore also collected a second-place finish in the 1,000-yard freestyle, and Michelle Herd placed second in the 100-yard backstroke.

It was on the diving board, however, that the Hoyas truly shone. Junior Juliana Bonilla and freshman Lindsay Thompson finished one-two in both the one- and three-meter diving competitions. Bonilla, who holds three of the four school records for women’s divin registered a three-meter score of 228.85 that put her more than 70 points ahead of Thompson, her closest competitor, and more than 80 points in front of the rest of the competition.

The visiting teams posted a number of impressive times, topped by Binghamton sophomore Huijue Cai in the women’s 100-yard butterfly. Cai set a McCarthy Pool record, finishing in 56.76 seconds – more than a full second faster than the previous record.

On the men’s side, Bower was very happy with the performance of junior Michael Kizer, who also won both the one- and three-meter board competitions. His score of 242.75 in the one-meter was more than 50 points ahead of the second-place diver from Binghamton.

For the rest of the men, it was a fairly frustrating afternoon, though there were a few bright spots. Junior Shodai Enters placed second in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:48.30, and also garnered a third-place finish in the 100 free, finishing in 48.63. Enters also swam the opening leg of the Hoyas’ 200 free relay, which edged Binghamton by 0.01 second and finished in 1:31.45, good enough for second place.

In addition to Enters’s performance, impressive results were also turned in by senior Bryan Evangelista, who continues to battle a broken hand suffered Oct. 26 in a meet against Loyola.

“Bryan has done a great job two weeks in a row,” Bowers said. “A broken hand makes you lose your feel for the water, but he has not let it get him down. He’s swimming inspired and still finishing hard.”

Despite an inconsistent performance this week, the stellar showing by a number of young swimmers and the solid performances by several upperclassmen have given Bowers quite a bit of optimism. “We had some good swimming today, and if you look to the future, it’s very promising,” she said.

The Hoyas will once again look to their youthful energy when they travel to Fairfax, Va. over the weekend of Nov. 22 for the Patriot Invite.