In Georgetown’s long-awaited home opener, the confines of the Multi-Sport Facility proved to be quite unfriendly in the team’s 38-14 setback to the Holy Cross Crusaders on Saturday afternoon.

The Hoyas fell to 1-3 with a league record of 0-2, and the Crusaders (1-2, 1-0) picked up their first win of the year after two close losses.

An anemic Georgetown offense negated an outstanding performance on the part of sophomore linebacker Nick Parrish, who returned not one, but two interceptions for touchdowns – a Hoya record.

“Personal efforts are good and all, but we lost the game, so in the grand scheme of things, I really did not have time to savor it,” Parrish said after the game.

The Hoyas were not able to generate any kind of momentum on offense, going 0-for-2 in the red zone. In contrast, senior quarterback Dominic Randolph, last year’s Patriot League offensive player of the year, orchestrated a well-balanced Crusader attack that occupied the ball for two-thirds of the game and tallied 473 total yards.

Georgetown amassed 199 total yards and registered only 32 on the ground. The Blue and Gray continued to struggle with the absence of a feature halfback in their offensive set. Freshman running back Keion Wade rushed a team six times for a meager four yards, and sophomore quarterback Keerome Lawrence led all Hoya rushers with 28 yards on four carries.

“[Junior running back] Charlie [Houghton] was hurt this week, and hopefully we will get him back next week,” Head Coach Kevin Kelly said about the 2006 Patriot League rookie of the year. “Right now, the running game is non-existent.”

After alternating evenly between quarterbacks in the team’s first three games, freshman signal caller James Brady started and handled the majority of the snaps. The youthful quarterback displayed impressive arm strength but struggled with his reads; he tossed three interceptions, which contributed to five Hoya turnovers overall.

“In general, it was not a very good game. We didn’t score any points except for [Nick Parrish]; he scored 14. We did a poor job really in all phases,” Kelly said.

Holy Cross won the coin toss before the game but elected to defer, and Georgetown commenced the first home drive of the 2008 campaign on its 20-yard line. However, on the second play from scrimmage Brady threw an interception, and six plays later on a fourth-and-1, Randolph rushed for the game’s first touchdown.

Later in the first quarter, Holy Cross seized a 14-0 lead on the senior’s first touchdown pass of the day. In the second quarter, Georgetown again found its back against the wall with Holy Cross in the red zone, but momentum shifted when Parrish sniffed out an out route, intercepted the ball and took it 95 yards to the house as the home crowd finally had something to cheer for. The score cut the lead to 14-7.

Riding the wave of excitement, Georgetown forced a three-and-out, and on the team’s second play of the ensuing drive, a 35-yard pass from Lawrence to senior slot back Kenny Mitchell to the Holy Cross 14-yard line threw the home fans into a frenzy.

But three plays later, an option pitch from Lawrence to sophomore halfback Mychal Harrison was fumbled, and the Hoyas gave the momentum right back to the Crusaders.

Holy Cross added a touchdown and a field goal to take a 24-7 lead into halftime, and on the first drive of the second half, the Crusaders drove 64 yards in 3 minutes, 10 seconds, capped by another throwing score from Randolph.

Parrish added his second touchdown of the game early in the fourth quarter on a 31-yard interception return, but Randolph quickly assembled his offense and in 1:38 and four plays, Holy Cross tallied its final score of the afternoon on an 11-yard pass.

“[Defensively] we put out the effort, but as far as executing the schemes, we have work to do,” Parrish said. “We could have gotten ourselves off the field a couple times.”

The Hoyas continue the Patriot League slate Saturday with a matchup against the Colgate Red Raiders (3-2, 1-0) in Hamilton, N.Y. Kickoff is set for 1 p.m.