Siena Sends GU Packing in WNIT

By Michael Medici Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s basketball team’s second-ever post-season berth came to an abrupt end March 11 as the Hoyas lost in the first round of the Women’s National Invitation Tournament to Siena, 86-73, in Loudonville, N.Y.

Sophomore guard Katie Smrcka-Duffy led Georgetown with 34 points on 14-of-25 shooting from the field, but the inside game of Siena was too much for the Hoyas, and the season which saw nine more wins than a year ago came to an end.

Siena’s Melanie Walker led the way inside, scoring 27 points and grabbing eight rebounds. Forward Sacha Baker scored 21 points on 9-for-13 shooting for the Saints.

The game was a tale of two halves, as Georgetown got out to a fast start and opened up a lead that grew to seven at the 9:21 point of the first half on a Smrcka-Duffy jumper. Siena fought back, though, and took a one-point lead as Baker converted a layup with just under six minutes to play in the half. Senior guard Melba Chambers made an old-fashioned three point play on the last play of the half, and the Hoyas went into the break down two.

For the most part, the Hoyas failed to do in the second half what they did well in the first. The Hoyas shot a scorching 58 percent in the first half, but shot just 37 percent in the second. The Hoyas were also out-rebounded 24-16 in the second half.

The Hoyas overcame those obstacles and managed to trim Siena’s eight-point lead to four with 3:42 left on a Smrcka-Duffy lay-up. Siena had the answer, though, as they went on a nine point run over the last 1:30 to secure the 13 point win.

The game ended the careers of Chambers, Sylita Thomas, Katie Heindel and Corey Borgman with what Thomas and Head Coach Patrick Knapp called a bitter taste. Thomas had 13 points and nine rebounds, Chambers had 13 points, Heindel had eight and Borgman finshed her career with two points.

The loss gave the Hoyas a final record of 18-12 on the year, doubling their win output of the 97-98 year in which the Hoyas went 9-19.