SFSAC Lobbies For Arts and Politics Certificate

To complement the School of Foreign Service’s economics and government-heavy course load, the SFS Academic Council will propose an arts and politics undergraduate certificate in December.
The council is currently preparing a proposal for the SFS Curriculum Committee. The tentative details of the certificate include three theoretical classes based on the intersection of international relations and fine arts, as well as three classes focused on a discipline in fine arts, such as music theory, art history or dance. The certificate would conclude with a capstone presentation where seniors would perform or present their work in fine arts.
Jinyoung Lee (SFS ’15), an SFS Academic Council junior representative, hopes the certificate would allow SFS students to experience an often forgotten aspect of international relations.
“Fine arts and IR theory have a really interesting relationship, and I think there needs to be more emphasis of this aspect of international relations,” Lee said, “I think the SFS puts you in such a professional mindset it’s especially hard to explore different subjects.”
Lee said that the idea of the certificate has sparked some interest among the SFS administration and students.
“I would say in principle, the study of the arts, and their role in international affairs fits quite nicely within the mission of the School of Foreign Service,” SFS Senior Associate Dean James Reardon-Anderson said. “One could imagine a lot of interesting topics in international affairs, but we have to make sure that we can actually deliver the courses and the expertise.”
The SFS Academic Council is coordinating with the SFS administration and the Department of Performing Arts and Department of Art and Art History to try to add the certificate to the SFS curriculum. The program incorporates courses that already exist and could potentially add new courses. Working with some local museums and institutions is also under consideration.
“A certificate like this would definitely allow to me to tailor my focus,” Mesbah Uddin (SFS ’15), an aspiring filmmaker, said. “I’m surprised this doesn’t exist already when the relation between arts and IR is so predominant.”