Melissa Biles will lead the defense this season as team co-captain with fellow senior attacker Wick Stanwick. As a junior, Biles was named a National First Team All-American, selected for the NCAA Final Four All-Tournament Team and picked for All-Big East First Team. Her 23 turnovers were second-best on the team. She was honored as Big East Defensive Player of the Week during the week of April 15 following outstanding performances against James Madison and Boston College.

The team’s offensive leader, Wick Stanwick, will head the attack in 2003. Stanwick had 50 goals and 70 total points last season – the most ever in her career. She constantly assailed her opponent’s net, notching four hat-tricks during the season including one six-goal performance against Lafayette in the First Round of the NCAA Tournament. Her barrage placed her at 25th in points per game (3.68) on the final NCAA Division I Statistical Leaders List.

The team’s defensive strength will be strengthened by Bethany Feil, a vocal leader both on and off the field. Despite holding a place in the reserve last year, Feil will start for the Hoyas in their upcoming season. Nonetheless, she saw playing time in 17 matches in 2002, including a contest against James Madison in which she recorded seven groundballs, three caused turnovers and one draw control. She had one goal in each of her sophomore and junior seasons.

Hilary Polk-Williams will play a vital role this year as an experienced attacker. Polk-Williams played on the Georgetown field hockey team during her first two years before leaving to focus on lacrosse. After sitting out much of her sophomore season due to injury, she was active in eight games as a junior, scoring three goals on six shots. Her first collegiate goal came in a 19-5 romp over Vanderbilt last March.

Midfielder Elizabeth Ryan will light up the field for the Hoyas in 2003. Last season, Ryan was an All-Big East Second Team selection. She finished the year with 1.42 assists and 3.47 ground balls per game, putting her at 20th and 22nd in those categories, respectively, on the final NCAA Division I Statistical Leaders List. Ryan scored 18 goals and a team-leading 27 assists in 19 games. Her 66 ground balls also paced her teammates.

Having started all her team’s games as a junior, attacker Tracy Weickel will be expected to lead the charge again this year. Weickel scored 23 points last season, including two four-goal performances against Rutgers and Boston College. Her 17 goals, six assists, nine caused turnovers and 30 groundballs earned her Georgetown’s Most Improved Player Award. She played a large role as a sophomore as well, seeing action in 11 of the team’s 20 contests that year.

Mike Hammer heads the 2003 attack for the Hoyas. Hammer comes into this season ranked eighth on the university’s all-time assist list with 47. He was named as an Inside Lacrosse Face Off Yearbook Preseason Third Team All-American for his offensive effort. As a junior, he was named to the All-ECAC Second Team for his 43 total points, including 17 assists. In the team’s NCAA Quarterfinal match against Princeton, he notched four goals.

The Hoyas’ star midfielder Kyle Sweeney enters 2003 with 196 groundballs in the previous three seasons, putting him 28 shy of becoming Georgetown’s all-time leader. In addition to being selected as an Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Yearbook Preseason First Team All-American, Sweeney was named 2003 preseason ECAC Defensive Player of the Year. Having played in every contest since his freshman year, he also has been honored twice as ECAC Defensive Player of the Year and First Team All-American.

Along with Mike Hammer and Kyle Sweeney, midfielder Trevor Walker will serve as co-captain for the 2003 Hoyas. After last season, during which he had 28 points, Walker received USILA Honorable Mention All-America and ECAC First Team honors. He had 102 shot attempts in 14 games, including four goals in Georgetown’s NCAA Quarterfinal contest against Princeton. Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Yearbook named him a Preseason Third Team All-American.

Attacker Brian Chen saw limited action last year, playing in six games. He played in 12 matches as a sophomore, notching one goal, four assists and four groundballs. The left-handed Chen is expected to step up this season, often to fill a spot on the extra-man offense.

Faceoff specialist and midfielder Mike Chiara has appeared in every contest played by the Hoyas in the past two seasons. Additionally, Chiara had face time in 11 matches his freshman year. In his 40 games at Georgetown, he has won 18 of 54 faceoffs, a 33.3 percent success rate.

Pat Collins will bring a physical presence to the defensive side of the field in 2003. Named to the Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Yearbook Honorable Mention Team, Collins started 11 of 12 games as a junior, despite sustaining an injury early in the season. He had 33 groundballs, leading his fellow defensemen. In his sophomore year, he scooped up 21 groundballs in 14 games.

Over the last two years, defender Brant Gresham has become one of the most honored players on the team. In addition to being named a 2003 preseason All-ECAC selection and an Inside Lacrosse Face-Off Yearbook Preseason Second Team All-American, he received USILA Honorable Mention All-America honors and was selected to the All-ECAC First Team following his junior year.

Last season was a special one for midfielder Doug Mueller, as he posted career-high numbers in shots (18), goals (3) and groundballs (27). He contributed two goals in a 13-2 blowout at Rutgers last April. The prior season, he played in 12 games and added two goals in just three shots on the net.

P.J. Paolisso saw playing time in the midfield position during 13 matches in the 2002 season. He had two goals, one each during matches against UMBC and Loyola. Paolisso has consistently done well with groundballs, notching 22 in 11 games as a freshman, 53 in 13 games as a sophomore and 23 last year.

Midfielder John Van Benschoten often contributed on the man-down unit last season. He has played in five contests during each of his three seasons at Georgetown. As a freshman, he had one goal and one assist in a match against Stony Brook. Two years later, he scored his second career goal against Brown and posted his second career assist at Rutgers.

After spending two years at Herkimer County Community College in New York, attacker Jordan Vettoretti transferred to Georgetown. In his first season as a Hoya, he played in 13 games, including 12 starts. In addition to two goals – one each against UMBC and Hobart – Vettoretti had three assists and nine groundballs. While at Herkimer, he was the Junior College Player of the Year, 2001 Regional Tournament MVP and twice-selected First Team All-American.

Graduate student Phil Vincent will be expected to contribute at midfield in his final season as a Hoya. Vincent redshirted his sophomore year, enabling him to play in 2003 despite the fact that he is no longer an undergraduate. He played in 12 games last season, setting career highs with 13 goals, eight assists and 34 groundballs. His 21 total points left him tied for fifth on the team.