TO THE EDITOR:

I would like to applaud Moises Mendoza for his column (“How a Gutless Student Press Lets Georgetown Censor It” THE HOYA, Jan. 30, 2007 A3). Why stop with the mere issue of self-censorship? The on-campus publications have been seriously lacking in overall quality during, at the very least, my three years at Georgetown. The writing quality is not nearly up to par with the major publications of other universities, and Georgetown’s newspapers seem more intent on interjecting their opinions than delivering actual news.

It is my belief that these issues stem from a lack of independence. Given the recent success of organizations outside of university control, like the Georgetown Events Committee, I was very hopeful during last year’s campaign for HOYA independence, and was dismayed – though not surprised – when I discovered that THE HOYA had failed.

I was equally dismayed when I was told that THE HOYA avoided independence simply to retain its name, among other factors. Perhaps it was naive of me to hope that anyone who claims to be interested in journalism would choose a quality paper over a simple name. Then again, maybe I just don’t have all the facts. But how can I, when nobody will report them accurately?

Mendoza’s words were poignant, indeed, but in Washington, D.C., there is no shortage of cheap talk. I challenge Mendoza and the editors of THE HOYA to stop complaining and start acting. I urge them to push for independence, to deliver unto Georgetown a publication free from administrative interference and the censorship that follows. I can promise them that they will have at least one loyal subscriber.

MO NARANG (COL ’08)

Feb. 1, 2007