For my generation of young Americans, the HBO hit series “Entourage” has become a cultural phenomenon worthy of our praise. In the future, when people reminisce about our generation, “Entourage” will undoubtedly be an essential window into the way we were.

With all the (deserved) hype surrounding the beginning of the fifth season this month, I can’t help but ask: Why is this Emmy-award-winning show so universally popular? The answer, I believe, is because it depicts everything that is young and American.

“Entourage” is saturated with pop culture references to an almost ridiculous degree. It creates a new genre – part reality, part drama, part comedy. Whether it’s Vince dating Mandy Moore, E managing Anna Faris, or both competing with “Spider-Man’s” box office numbers, the show is unusually current and modern. It seems like it is happening in real-time. Using brand names is the norm; referring to real Hollywood gossip is commonplace. Perhaps my generation is obsessed with “Entourage” because “Entourage” is obsessed with my generation. It is as if we are looking in a mirror, and “Entourage,” in art form, is reflecting back to us the 21st-century culture we created. The newest trends, music and slang appear in the episodes almost as soon as they are established. The trend-setting status has been achieved.

“Entourage” reflects more than just culture; the show depicts some distinctly American political ideals. The premise of the show, the rags-to-riches story, is appealing to our subconscious patriotism. America is the land of opportunity, and this middle-class group of friends from Queens are catapulted into the Hollywood high life thanks to Vince’s acting career.

This is what America is supposed to be. They climbed the socio-economic ladder to success. Because of their history, they aren’t tainted – yet – by the Hollywood life; they have merged their down-to-earth, laid-back upbringing with their newfound cash and connections. They are living the American dream. This is why we keep watching. Everybody has envisioned themselves living the “Entourage” life, casting three friends to play the supporting parts.

We are also envious because with their monetary success, they have been able to live a lavish lifestyle devoid of basic annoyances and headache. Herein lies the third and most significant reason why we love “Entourage”: It represents the admirable American ideal of the pursuit of happiness.

Guarded next to life and liberty, the pursuit of happiness is such an overlooked yet awesome right we have. Once again, “Entourage” is inherently American. The premise is so appealing because the characters appear to enjoy themselves as they persistently pursue happiness.

At Georgetown, those two philosophy requirements normally require students to read, at some point, Aristotle’s “Nicomachean Ethics.” He speaks here and elsewhere of eudaimonia, that ultimate aim of humans, the point at which pure happiness is attained for a sake in itself. This is the goal of our species; we are in a constant pursuit of happiness. If this is the nature of humans, then those who have the most fulfilling lives are those who are the happiest.

This is not to say the characters from “Entourage” have achieved ultimate happiness, but they have gone a lot further than the majority of dissatisfied Americans. Because of their success, they are able to live a life full of leisure, luxury and relaxation. Is this not what every young American wants? The good life – the life in which you can remain young forever. They live in a multi-million dollar house, enjoy endless amenities, dine with entertainment executives, date models and actresses and still have cash to throw around. While these perks may seem superficial, it shows something deeper: The crew is able to do what they want and avoid what they don’t want. Thus, their lives of constant partying, jet-setting and excess is a model of following one’s dreams.

A reviewer from The New York Times aptly described the show as “an exhilarating challenge to the immune system, one that leaves you more awake, more amused and even a little more alive.” In other words, watching “Entourage” is enriching. It reminds us of the importance of America and the importance of being happy.

I, like “Entourage,” constantly encourage people to enjoy themselves fully. I will forever be a supporter of the carefree, leisure-filled lifestyle. I believe everyone deserves the opportunity to pursue his or her own version of happiness, whatever that may be. While “Entourage” is essentially defined by my generation, perhaps, we could benefit, in turn, by letting “Entourage’s” example define us a little. In doing so, I invite you to join me as I follow their lead and embark on an endless pursuit of happiness. It’s easier than you think, for happiness is only a state of mind.

Dean Lieberman is a sophomore in the School of Foreign Service. He can be reached at liebermanthehoya.com. RAVING ABOUT MY GENERATION appears every other Tuesday.