Security GU Implements Increased Security Measures for Campus

By Tim Sullivan Hoya Staff Writer

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Firefighters work to put out the blaze at the Pentagon as other emergency personnel survey the scene.

In response to Tuesday’s attacks, local and university safety officials moved to secure Georgetown University and its students by implementing increased security measures and advising students to do the same, including recommending students remain near campus.

Director of Public Safety William Tucker said he still believes Georgetown is safe for students, but added that common sense dictates caution.

“Any person would be wise to exercise caution in terms of coming and going,” he said. “Unless it’s necessary, people ought to stay close to the Georgetown University campus.”

Tucker said that immediately after receiving news of the attacks, DPS began manning all the vehicle entrances to the university, stopping all vehicles to question the drivers about the nature of their entrance. All vehicles not bearing a Georgetown parking permit were not permitted on campus, except food and other delivery vehicles.

“It is too early to tell how long increased security measures will be in place,” Tucker said, but added that they would likely last “until [the situation] around the country is fairly normal and the fear is reduced.”

Tucker also said that after any vehicle entered campus, safety officers recorded the destination and identity of each of the passengers.

In addition, all DPS “sworn” officers, those with on-campus arrest powers, have been placed on 12-hour shifts, and student guards have been told to be “extremely observant and careful” when checking identification, according to Tucker.

He would not disclose how many public safety officers Georgetown employs.

According to Assistant Vice-President for Communications Julie Green Bataille, “the university has been coordinating with a variety of security officials, including the Metropolitan Police Department and other local universities, to ensure that we are taking appropriate precautions and offering assistance to others if needed.”

All residence halls will remain locked as usual, and Tucker said that between 9 p.m. and 8:30 a.m., the only way anyone will be allowed enter a residence hall that they do not live in is to be signed in by a resident.

Georgetown has not had any unusual incidents on or around campus since Tuesday morning, Tucker said, but DPS did ask students to remain off of building rooftops because they are a “potential safety hazard.”

Tucker said that DPS has been in contact with the Metropolitan Police Department about coordinating security efforts.

Representatives for MPD did not return phone calls placed Thursday.

According to Tucker, while the university has not formally allocated any additional funds to support increased security, it has recognized the additional efforts by DPS.

Green Bataille agreed, saying, “The university has made available all needed resources to ensure that students and our entire campus community remain safe and secure,” but added that many of the additional resources would not incur additional cost for the university.

Tucker said that Georgetown did not implement its Emergency Response Plan, which is targeted specifically at containing on-campus emergencies such as a building fire or significant flood. However, the university did implement many of the elements contained within the plan, Tucker said, including the steps taken by DPS.