The typical love story usually depicts the series of events leading up to the union of two lovers. Perhaps you envision a prince and princess riding off into the sunset on a noble steed, or maybe the on-screen kiss between Spider-Man and Mary Jane in the comic’s 2002 film adaptation. Michael Moore, of course, puts a twist on the meaning of the “love story” genre in his new documentary about capitalism.

The seemingly socialist moviemaker has put America’s economic system on trial in “Capitalism: A Love Story,” attacking not only our weak efforts to financially balance our class system but also the fact that Americans are too inundated with greed and individualism to provide justice for the less fortunate. In his movie, which portrays a series of corporate blunders, Moore conveys a sense of pity and disgust for Americans’ passion for wealth and the corresponding illusion of happiness.

Last Friday, several of my buddies and I strolled to AMC Loews Georgetown 14, a hotspot cinema for Georgetown students, to see what all the fuss was about. As a believer in capitalism, I positioned myself in the reclining seat of the theater with a soft drink. I had little reason to believe that Moore could persuade me to change my economic views.

Wrong. Moore emphasized the wealthy elite’s use of its power to manipulate Congress to pass legislation that favors the rich, citing shocking incidences of white-collar crime in corporate boardrooms. The images of foreclosed homes and the government’s desensitized approach in dealing with the urban and rural poor were utterly disturbing. Stunned by the numerous wrongdoings committed under American capitalism, I reconsidered my values concerning fiscal and monetary policy in this country. I attempted to think and answer the flood of questions that baffled me as I walked back to campus.

Think about this: As students at Georgetown, we are privileged to attend one the greatest educational institutions in the United States, the wealthiest country in the world. Most of us will graduate and live comfortable, if not luxurious, lives with fine educations under our belts.

But what about those who simply cannot provide the means for getting an education, even if they put in years of the strenuous work that forms the backbone of the working class? They, obviously, suffer at the hands of a class system centered on the idea that if we educate ourselves, we can rise to the top. But is there enough accessibility in the system to allow social movement, or does the American Dream serve as a façade to allow the rich to become richer and the poor to become poorer?

Before you make your own judgment, remember that the richest 1 percent in the United States owns 33 percent of the country’s wealth. The elite send their children to prep schools, which in turn prepare them for acceptance into the prestigious universities that equip them to remain at the top of the social class system. As Georgetown is one of the most prestigious universities in the country, many of us will encounter opportunities that will increase the likelihood of our financial success.

What I’m trying to stress is that money is only the means by which we can buy and purchase services in society. Capitalism can, in some circumstances, provide for cutthroat competition that dehumanizes certain aspects of the business world. Because we are the future leaders of America, I can only hope that we will be able to resist any exploitation of the lower classes. We ought to realize that greed and money sometimes fall under the same category, and that money is certainly no measurement for success if it disadvantages another social class that already has little chance for social movement.

I’m no proponent of socialism, but Moore’s new documentary definitely made me realize that there are flaws in capitalism that have yet to permeate the consciences of many of our leaders. Bravo, Moore.

Andy Blake is a freshman in the College.

*To send a letter to the editor on a recent campus issue or Hoya story or a viewpoint on any topic, contact [opinionthehoya.com](opinionthehoya.com). Letters should not exceed 300 words, and viewpoints should be between 600 to 800 words.*”