SCS Sets Details for Expansion

TIFFANY LACHHONNA FOR THE HOYA The School of Continuing Studies currently houses several of its programs at a satellite campus in Clarendon, Va.
TIFFANY LACHHONNA FOR THE HOYA
The School of Continuing Studies currently houses several of its programs at a satellite campus in Clarendon, Va.

The university is seeking a site in downtown D.C. to become a new home for its School of Continuing Studies, according to the university’s latest financial plan.

“The new location is needed to consolidate its programs in Virginia and Georgetown in a single footprint, thus enabling SCS to grow its programs and meet its strategic goals,” the document states.

In the past three years, the SCS has increased its enrollment by about 360 percent. The school’s center in Clarendon, Va., houses the university’s Center for Continuing and Professional Education and the master’s degree programs in Technology Management,  Journalism and Public Relations and Corporate Communications.

In a letter introducing Georgetown University’s Financial Plan 2013-2016, COO Chris Augostini wrote that the new downtown location will be more accessible to prospective students who work downtown.

He added that the new site would allow for the expansion of the SCS in fields such as emergency management and urban and regional planning as well as programs that would prepare students for biomedical industries and related government agencies.

The creation of the additional campus, which was dubbed “Georgetown Downtown” by University President John J. DeGioia earlier this year, is expected to cost $11,507,000 between fiscal years 2011 and 2013 according to the financial plan. The projected expenses include planning, designing, constructing and installing the necessary furniture and fixtures. About $7,500 is anticipated to come from operating surpluses, while the rest would be financed by debt.

According to Director of Media Relations and Public Affairs Rachel Pugh, the administration is considering several locations throughout D.C. The university hopes to lease an approximately 85,000 square foot space for 15 years.

“We are still determining our exact space needs but hope to be near a Metro station and are exploring options across the [metropolitan] area,” she wrote in an email.

The relocation of 1,000 graduate and professional students off of Georgetown’s main campus by Dec. 31, 2013, was originally a concession made by the administration during the ongoing debate over the 2010 Campus Plan. The measure was intended to address complaints about noise levels and lower home maintenance levels due to increased graduate student residence in Burleith and West Georgetown.