SPORTS IN BRIEF Owens To Sit Out Season Incoming freshman Darrel Owens has been declared academically ineligible and will sit out the 2001-02 season, Head Coach Craig Esherick announced Tuesday.

Owens, a six-foot six-inch wing forward who did not figure to get much playing time this season, is the latest addition to a rapidly expanding list of Hoya players to run into trouble with NCAA academic regulations in recent years.

Last year, forward Lee Scruggs (COL ’01) sat out the early portion of the season after being ruled ineligible for the fall semester. Junior center Wesley Wilson was sidelined because of academic ineligibility during the 1999-2000 campaign, and recent alumnus Anthony Perry (COL ’01) did not play his freshman year because of academic eligibility reasons.

A native of Napoleonville, La., Owens averaged 21 points, eight rebounds and five assists per game during his senior year. He was recruited by Georgetown for his size and ball-handling ability, according to the team’s prospectus.

– Tim Sullivan

Scruggs Sent To Asheville

Former Hoya forward Lee Scruggs (COL ’01) was among the first 16 players nationwide allocated to the teams of the National Basketball Development League and will play for the Asheville Attitude in North Carolina during the league’s inaugural season.

The league, which was established by the NBA to accommodate young players who were not signed to NBA contracts to develop their skills without having to play abroad, will make its debut in November. Scruggs went unpicked in June’s NBA draft but played for the Washington Wizards’ summer league team before being cut earlier this semester.

Scruggs, a fan-favorite during his time at Georgetown, averaged 8.6 points, 4.8 rebounds and 1.2 blocks per game his senior year, and was touted as a potential draft pick after his breakout junior season in which he averaged 10.7 points per game and helped the Hoyas to a late-season resurgence that included a run in the Big East Tournament and a thrilling NIT victory against Virginia.

– Tim Sullivan