Scarlet Knights Shut Down Hoyas in Three Game Series

By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

The Hoyas began their Big East season Sunday with a doubleheader against Rutgers in a very cold New Jersey ballpark. The games were originally scheduled for Saturday and Sunday but had to be postponed due to icy conditions on the field. The games were pushed back a day, and the results weren’t what Georetown was hoping for, as they dropped both games to the Scarlet Knights.

Game one continued the streak of ineffective pitching and unproductive offense, as the Hoyas took it on the chin by a margin of 14-0. Rutgers pitcher Bob Brownlie was dominant on the hill, allowing only two walks and three hits as he pitched the complete seven innings to post the shutout and pick up his first win of the season.

On the other side of the box score, juniors Jim Vankoski and Jay Catalano were tattooed for 14 runs on 17 hits, 11 of those for extra bases. Rutgers jumped on top early with three runs in the bottom of the first, and Brownlie’s pitching made sure it was never a contest, allowing only singles to freshman shortstop Matt Carullo, sophomore first baseman Eric Sutton and junior right fielder Brian Cassese.

Georgetown showed a tremendous amount of poise, resurrecting itself after the loss to perform more than admirably in the second game of the doubleheader. Junior starting pitcher Matt Arizin dueled with Rutgers starter Buddy Gallagher into the ninth inning matching him evenly, allowing only three runs over eight and two thirds innings of work, in what was easily one of his best performances of the year.

Junior Eric Santana picked up his hot hitting again, going two for four and driving in a run for the Hoyas. Cassese and freshman Jason Boice drove in another run apiece to put the Hoyas ahead 3-2 heading into the bottom of the ninth.

Georgetown could not hang on, however, as Rutgers batter Joe Cirone led off the inning by reaching on an error by Carullo at shortstop. Rutgers advanced around the bases with fundamentally sound at bats. Cirone moved to second on a sacrifice bunt and then to third on a grounder to the right side of the infield one at bat later.

Arizin was then lifted in favor of closer Tony Pina. Pina could not deliver for the Hoyas, giving up a double to right centerfield. Georgetown issued an intentional walk to get the force play at third base. Rutgers clean up batter Todd Speedy foiled that intention with an infield hit to third base to load them up with two outs. The Hoyas temporarily dodged the bullet with a fielder’s choice to second base to end the inning.

In the bottom of the tenth, everything collapsed for Georgetown. Pina hit the lead-off man with a pitch, who then advanced to second on an error by first baseman Eric Sutton, who entered the game for Santana in the bottom of the ninth. Pina struck out the next batter, but yielded the game-winning single one batter later.

The Hoyas record fell to 9-14 overall and 0-2 in the Big East. Rutgers improved to 8-10 and 2-0 in the conference. The two teams conclude the three game series with a game on March 20 at Rutgers.

Related Links

Baseball Statistics-Baseball Schedule-Box Score, Game 1-Box Score, Game 2