Image Contributor
Junior pitcher Jimmy Saris

Junior Jimmy Saris sent a message to the rest of college baseball Wednesday: He’s back.

Saris struck out 11 batters in seven scoreless innings to lead Georgetown (12-17, 3-9 Big East) to a 6-0 win over Navy (20-13) in the non-conference game. Saris, who finished last season with an ERA of 3.25 and an average of 5.6 strikeouts per game, entered the game in Annapolis, Md., with an ERA around 10 and just 18 strikeouts over six outings this year.

“Jimmy was finally back to last year’s form,” Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “He got ahead of most of the hitters, and the 11 strikeouts and no walks tell the whole story.”

Both teams combined for seven hits over the first six innings, and the game was scoreless until the Hoyas scored five runs in the seventh.

Freshman second baseman Erick Fernandez, who was coming off of a 6-for-12 performance last weekend, led off the seventh with a single. Freshman third baseman Sean Lamont doubled to left field and senior left fielder Matt Harrigan reached on an error to load the bases. Wilk called on freshman Billy Henig to pinch hit, and Henig came through with an RBI single to put Georgetown on the board.

Sophomore center fielder Tommy Lee got on base with a two-RBI single and advanced to third on sophomore short stop Tom Elliott’s single. Lee scored the fifth run of the inning on a double steal. Elliot broke for second base, and as Navy’s freshman catcher Jeff Bland threw down to second base, Lee broke home and crossed the plate before the return throw got to Bland.

“The throw to second was high, and Tommy got a good read on the ball,” Wilk said.

Georgetown put two more runners on base in the seventh – before two straight outs left three runners on base – but the Hoyas did not need any more offense. Saris blanked Navy in the bottom of the seventh, and seniors Grady McConnell and Daniel Kennedy each worked a scoreless inning in the eighth and ninth.

The top of the Georgetown lineup provided most of the offense for the Hoyas. Elliott, junior right fielder Kelly Muir and senior catcher Matt Iannetta – the one, two and three hitters – each had two hits.

The win was Georgetown’s first shutout victory this season and ended a four-game losing streak.

Georgetown returns to action this afternoon at Shirley Povich Field in a key Big East contest against Rutgers. The Hoyas are in 10th place in the conference, while the Scarlet Knights are in a tie for 11th, and last, place. Rutgers (9-19, 2-7 Big East) has lost six of its last seven and stands in last place in the Big East.

“Rutgers is having a down year from what people have been saying. Normally they are one of the best teams on the East Coast,” Wilk said. “But we can’t overlook anybody.”

The reason the Scarlet Knights are down this year may be due to their troubles at the plate all season. They are hitting .246 as a team and have only three regulars with batting averages above .260. Georgetown is hitting .279 as a team and has four regulars above .300. Both teams’ pitching staffs boast identical 5.73 earned run averages.

First pitch is set for 3 p.m. today, and the games on Saturday and Sunday are scheduled to start at 1 p.m. and noon, respectively. There will be buses leaving from in front of McDonough Gymnasium at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday to take fans to the field for a pregame cookout.