SANTAMARIA: Arians Earned His Chance

From his humble beginning as the head coach of Temple University, Bruce Arians’ rise to power has been nothing short of remarkable.

After his days of playing football at Virginia Tech, Arians bounced around various offensive assistant coaching positions in the NCAA and NFL for more than 33 years before landing the interim head coach job for the Indianapolis Colts in 2012 as Head Coach Chuck Pagano sat out the year to combat his leukemia. Arians led the Colts to a 9-3 record, and then moved on to Phoenix, where he currently has his Arizona Cardinals atop the NFL standings at 9-1.

Arians’ use of his quarterback skills from his playing days at Virginia Tech to develop players at the collegiate level has translated to success in the NFL. After being hired as offensive coordinator for the Indianapolis Colts in early 2012, Arians had little time to act in that role, as he was soon named interim head coach. For Week 5 through Week 17 of that season, Arians was at the reins, with the pressure of a historically great franchise on his shoulders.

He didn’t disappoint. His development of first overall draft pick, quarterback Andrew Luck was a vital factor in the Colts’ historic comeback from the previous season’s 2-14 record. Indianapolis finished the season with an 11-5 record, earning a playoff berth before losing in the wild-card round to the eventual Super Bowl Champion, the Baltimore Ravens.

A 9-3 record as an interim coach with a rookie quarterback leading the offense is impressive in and of itself, but considering the Colts’ 0-13 start in 2011-2012, as well as the departure of arguably the greatest quarterback to ever play the game, Peyton Manning, Arians’ season with the Colts was beyond impressive.

Not only did his performance garner him favor with the entire city of Indianapolis, it earned him a full-time job. Starting as the Arizona Cardinals’ head coach in the 2012-2013 season, Bruce Arians continued his trend of successful rebuilding and incredible turnarounds. Although the Cardinals missed the playoffs, losing out on a bid to the eventual champion Seattle Seahawks in the NFC West division, they still boasted a 10-6 record, winning 10 games for only the second time in 37 years and doubling their win total from 2012.

Arians’ coaching style is one of confidence, and some describe him as an alpha male among alpha males. He brings out the personality in his players, and according to them, he is just as cocky as the guys who don the pads every Sunday. That kind of attitude has absolutely carried into the current NFL season as the Cardinals sit at 9-1, leading the NFC West, the NFC, and the entire NFL.

Aside from having the best defense in the NFL, Arizona has a fluid and adaptable offense. Despite starting quarterback Carson Palmer going down for the season with a torn ACL and wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald spraining his MCL, the Cardinals are still finding ways to win. In a premier matchup against the second-best NFC team, the Detroit Lions, this past weekend, the Cardinals muscled their way to a 14-6 win, not letting the potent Lions offense into the end zone once.

Although talk of a Super Bowl run is still in the distance, as the Cardinals still need to play their final six games, it is safe to assume they will be making the playoffs and holding home-field advantage in the postseason. In the locker room, Arians’ leadership goes unquestioned and his confidence is infectious.

No matter the end result of the Cardinals’ season, it is safe to say that Arians’ impact on the team has been nothing short of sensational. More than that, he has proven that an impassioned coaching style can yield immediate results.

For a coach who had to wait 33 years before getting his first game as a head coach in the NFL, Arians — with his incredible 28-10 record — is clearly making up for lost time in a hurry with an incredible career 28-10 record at the helm. If all goes well, in February, Arians may very well hoist the coveted Lombardi trophy.

Paolo Santamaria is a freshman in the College. SAXA SYNERGY appears every Friday.