Sanders Cut From Ballot, D.C. Council Holds Vote

BROOKINGS INSTITUTE After the D.C. Democratic Party did not submit Sanders’ name to the D.C. Board of Election, an activist filed a legal motion to keep his name from the ballot.
BROOKINGS INSTITUTE
After the D.C. Democratic Party did not submit Sanders’ name to the D.C. Board of Election, an activist filed a legal motion to keep his name from the ballot.

old an emergency vote to determine whether or not to include Sen. Bernie Sanders’ (I-Vt.) name on the Democratic Party ballot for D.C.’s June 14 primary after the party submitted the candidate’s registration paperwork one day after the March 16 deadline.

In order to be added to the primary ballot, a candidate must either collect 1,000 signatures or submit a check for $2,500 to the D.C. Democratic Party. Sanders submitted a check to the party March 16.

However, the party did not submit his name to the D.C. Board of Elections until March 17. As a result, an activist filed a legal challenge to keep Sanders off the ballot, arguing his name was received late and therefore should not be included for consideration in the District’s primary.

The council’s resolution would allow a political party to submit a candidate’s name to the Board of Elections 24 hours after the filing deadline. It is expected to pass easily, allowing Sanders’ name to be placed on the ballot.

Councilmember and D.C. Democratic Party Chairman Anita Bonds (D-At Large) said that for the past four elections, the party had submitted candidates’ names the day after the deadline and there had never been an issue.

“Bernie will be on the ballot,” Bonds said to CNN. “This has been kind of a tradition in the District of Columbia, that the party would notify the board the following day.”

The party had also submitted former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s name to the board the day after the filing deadline. As there has been no legal challenge to her eligibility, she will be certified without issue.

The D.C. Democratic primary is the final primary contest of the 2016 election cycle, during which 45 delegates will be awarded. The Republican Party primary took place March 12 with a victory for Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), who has since dropped out of the race.