Sailing Strong Into The Spring

By Meredith McCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

Georgetown’s co-ed and women’s sailing teams competed in three regattas this past weekend.

The Hoyas best finish came from the women’s squad at the St. ary’s College Women’s Intersectional, one of the toughest regattas of the year, where they placed seventh out of 18 teams with 220 points. Host St. Mary’s College of Maryland won the regatta with 152 points.

Freshmen Mimi Elliott and Shelly Wentworth collected 123 points to finish in ninth place for the Hoyas in the A-Division, 53 points behind top-finisher Hobart.

In the B-Division, freshman Liz Sampson and junior Baye Emery tied Boston University’s team with 97 points.

The Georgetown co-ed squad, currently ranked No. 5 in the Sailing World College Rankings, placed ninth out of 20 teams at the Truxton Umsted Intersectional Regatta with 746 points. The co-ed team from St. Mary’s College also took first in this tournament with 393 points.

Georgetown’s top finish came from sophomores Ken Ward and Leah Williams who teamed up in the A-Division to finish seventh with 166 points.

Sophomore Brian Bissel and juniors John Camera, Paige Black and Kate Hewson combined to finish eighth place in the B-Division with 170 points.

Junior Ryan Costello placed 11th in the C-Division with 184 points and sophomore Curtis Flood accumulated 226 points and placed 12th in the D-Division to round out the Hoyas’ performance.

Georgetown also sent a co-ed squad to the Salisbury State Open regatta which placed seventh out of 10 teams with 116 points.

The A-Division Hoyas, sophomores Pat Donegan and Kat Penberthy, gained 46 points. Freshman Joe Kildea and sophomore Lindsay Bello competed in the B-Division, scoring 70 points.

Next weekend, Georgetown looks for a good showing at the Princeton Women’s Spring regatta.