SAILING | Nearing End, GU Cruising

After a remarkable fall campaign in which the girls’ team ended at No. 7 in the nation and the coed side claimed the top spot in the country, the spring season bodes well for a similarly lofty finish for the Georgetown sailing team.

The coed team — currently ranked No. 3 in Sailing World’s latest rankings — and the women, coming in at No. 4 in the polls, have built an impressive resume thus far in their 2013 campaign. The spring season started exceptionally well for the Blue and Gray, with a resounding victory in Charleston, S.C., in the Bob Bavier Team Race regatta on February 23rd. Led by senior skipper Chris Barnard, sophomore skipper Alex Post and freshman skipper Nevin Snow, the Hoyas brought home the victory against a deep pool of collegiate programs — among many others, Georgetown notably defeated Yale and Stanford that day, thus placing ahead of the only two teams ranked ahead of it in the current Sailing World rankings.

From there, the results have kept piling up. In their eight subsequent coed races, the Blue and Gray have racked up seven top-five finishes, including a victory at Hobart and William Smith Colleges this past Saturday and top-five finishes in both of their home meets. For the women, the results have been equally noteworthy: In the five races since Charleston, the Hoyas have finished in the top five all but once.

Having been led by Mike Callahan, the 2012 U.S. Sailing coach of the year, since 1998, the Georgetown program traditionally boasts great stability and great success. More times than anyone else, Callahan has received the Outstanding Coaching Achievement Award, which honors the best Georgetown coach from the past season.

Looking ahead, the coed team is next in action this Saturday with the America Trophy regatta at Navy, while the women’s team is set to travel to Hampton, Va., April 20 for its final regular season regatta.

Nationals are fast approaching for the program, with the first of the month-long stretch of races beginning April 27 and continuing throughout May.

Georgetown Sports Information did not respond to requests for comment for this story.