SAILING | Hoyas Host Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta

The Georgetown sailing team hosted the Tom Curtis Memorial Regatta this past weekend in Washington, D.C., in memory of Thomas E. Curtis (CAS ’68), who passed away 39 years ago in a tragic racing accident. Curtis was an All-American sailor at Georgetown and is a member of the Georgetown University Athletic Hall of Fame.

The George Washington University, the U.S. Naval Academy, St. Mary’s College of Maryland, Tulane University and Old Dominion University, along with Georgetown, competed for racing honors.

On Saturday, eight races took place under overcast skies and mild conditions. Sunday’s six races saw temperatures ranging in the mid-70s with a strong outgoing tide and five to seven knot southerly winds.

Georgetown juniors Annalise Pflueger and Gwynie Dunlevy managed the Race Committee over the weekend. Georgetown placed first with 270 points, followed closely behind by Navy with 332 points and George Washington with 340 points. St. Mary’s, Tulane, and Old Dominion followed with scores of 417, 459 and 562 respectively.

The Hoyas performed well throughout the weekend, with all three boats finishing in the top ten of their respective divisions.

Freshman Jack Reiter and sophomore Anabelle Ayer led the Hoyas to a first-place victory in the top division, finishing eight of the 14 races in first place and notching a total of 33 points.

In the second division, sophomore Carly Broussard and freshman Victoria Boatwright finished fifth out of the 18 boats racing at Tom Curtis, racking up a total of 102 points.

Senior Noah Kelleher, sophomore Lucy Beimfohr and senior Isabelle Trimble finished ninth in the regatta with 135 points while racing in the third division.

The Hoyas look to continue their success this coming weekend as they travel to Providence, R.I., for the Women’s Showcase and St. Mary’s City, Md., for the St. Mary’s Regatta.