SAILING Hoyas Capture Regatta

The Georgetown sailing team, ranked third nationally, competed in three regattas this weekend where they came away with one win and two fifth-place finishes.

The Hoyas’ lone victory came at the Laser Qualifiers South held in Annapolis, Md. Sophomore Tyler Haskell triumphed over 13 other competitors, including fellow Hoyas Derek Webster (sixth), Steve Streit (eighth) and Curtis Flood (11th).

Haskell’s performance qualified him for the Mid-Atlantic Intercollegiate Sailing Association singlehanded championships to be held Oct. 6 and 7 in New York, where the top four sailors will move onto the national championships. Haskell joins classmate, sophomore Bill Jorch in qualifying for the event.

At the MAIA Sloops National Qualifier the Hoyas were not quite as impressive. In nine races the Hoyas accumulated 43 points, landing them fifth place out of 10 teams. On the final day of racing, the team fought inexperience along with sloops and bad wind conditions to come within six points of first place. However, a disappointing finish eventually landed them 12 points behind champion Navy. The all-senior crew of Peter Frantz, Alex Holtan, Pat Donegan and All-American Ken Ward was led by skipper Brian Bissell, another All-American.

“It’s tough to race in light wind,” Head Coach ike Callahan (SFS ’97) said. “It’s tough to get the boat going in those conditions, and our team hasn’t had much practice in them.”

In another disappointing finish, the Hoyas also placed fifth at the St. Mary’s Rregatta at St. Mary’s College in aryland. Sophomores Thatcher Spring and Chris Harvey competed in the majority of the races in the A division while classmates Bill Jorch and Gabrielle Maguire were the Hoyas’ main representative in the B division.

Despite slight dissatisfaction with his team’s performance this weekend, Callahan said that his team needs a sense of normalcy after the interruption caused by the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

“We need to get back to a lot more practicing and get a good rhythm going,” Callahan said. “We couldn’t practice for the first week after the attacks, and there was a little trepidation when we first returned to practice. It’s weird where we are, on the Potomac right by National [Airport]. Every time a plane flies overhead, you kind of wonder.”

The Hoyas will try to build on their experiences on Sept. 29 and 30 at the Tom Curtis Regatta in Washington, D.C. and at the New York Maritime Open in New York City.