SAILING | Georgetown Finishes Season Strong

The Georgetown sailing team finished their fall season strong, winning big at the Rose Bowl Regatta in Long Beach, Calif., on Jan. 6 and 7.

Familiar foes made the top five, including St. Mary’s College of Maryland, who Georgetown defeated by 20 points. Other top-five finishers included U.C. Santa Barbara, Tufts and Northwestern. The Hoyas’ victory was the team’s sixth consecutive win in the event.

The Rose Bowl Regatta showcased 22 collegiate teams from across the country. Both of Georgetown’s top teams featured West Coast sailors who were familiar with the weather factor in Long Beach.

GUHOYAS | The Hoyas’s experienced sailors carried the team in a strong performance at the Rose Bowl Regatta.

Georgetown’s sailors were spread across two divisions, A and B. In division A, senior Andy Reiter and junior Gwyneth Dunlevy won eight of nine races, dominating the field with 15 points and taking first place. In division B, freshman Jack Reiter and sophomore Marley Mais qualified for the top three by winning six of nine races. These two teams combined for 45 points in total, enough to comfortably win the event.

The Hoyas finished strong with their fall season of fleet racing and look forward to a successful spring season of team racing. In this style of competition, boats race alongside others from their school in an effort to strategically outmatch and outperform the other team.

The sailing team has been one of Georgetown’s most dominant programs over the last several years, and the dominance continued throughout this season. A highlight for the Hoyas came on Nov. 3 and 4, when freshman Ford McCann placed third at Laser Performance Nationals. Sophomore Carla Broussard finished fifth in the women’s division as well.

In February, the Hoyas will embark on their spring season, hoping to continue their winning trend.