To the Editor:

I was disappointed that you did not mention the recent successes of the Georgetown University Sailing Team in your two most recent print editions. Although the online version of THE HOYA has remained somewhat up-to-date with the events of Georgetown’s highest-ranked varsity team, GUST has been absent from campus newsstands.

For those Hoyas who do not regularly peruse the pages of THE HOYA on the Web, let me be the first to bring the news that Georgetown varsity athletics now counts five national championships among its teams. Sailing for the Hoyas, senior Andrew Campbell won his second consecutive ICSA single-handed National Championship last month. The strength of this victory shows GUST’s extremely successful fall season. The team is ranked the No. 1 coed sailing team in the country, according to the Sailing World’s 2005 College Sailing Rankings.

By all objective measures, this newest Hoya national championship and the subsequent ascension of GUST to No. 1 in the country were the biggest Georgetown sports stories of the past two weeks and likely the entire fall season, yet they both somehow escaped the actual pages of THE HOYA. Please correct this wrong by spilling some ink and informing the campus community of Campbell’s and GUST’s achievements.

Berry Kurland (SFS ’06)

GUST Member

Dec. 5, 2005

To the Editor:

Berry Kurland (SFS ’06)

GUST Member

Dec. 5, 2005