SAC Launches Funding Reform Talks

The Student Activities Commission agreed Monday to consider implementing some of the funding guidelines suggestions voiced by student groups in a town hall held last week.

With a nod to student concerns, SAC raised the possibility of amending the funding guidelines, perhaps as early as the end of this semester.  In the short term, SAC agreed to create five committees that will present final reports and suggestions for amendments on April 18. Interested student group leaders will be invited to participate in each working group.

SAC Chair Andrew Koenig (COL ’12) said that he appreciated last week’s vigorous debate.

“I was very encouraged by the turnout,” he said, “and I was also encouraged by the quality of the discussion.”

The commission discussed many of the concerns students raised during the town hall, namely the new bulk allocation system. The revised funding process, put in place at the end of last semester, provides student groups with a lump sum each semester based on the schedule in their programming arc.

One of the committees will focus on the possibility of allowing groups to add zero allocation events — or events that do not require SAC funding — to their programming schedules during the semester.

For now, the bulk funding system will remain in place. Koenig said that the new system allowed SAC a greater amount of flexibility this semester.

“In previous semesters, we would have spent a majority of the meeting time discussing funding,” he said.  “Now, we’re able to devote more time to looking at the merits of actual student events.”

The second committee will discuss an independent appeals process for funding allocation decisions. Earlier this semester, student leaders sent two open letters to SAC commissioners requesting the implementation of such a process.

Other working groups will evaluate meeting procedures and openness, advocacy on behalf of groups to other campus organizations such as the Office of Campus Activity Facilities and a procedure for groups to follow up with SAC after events.

Ruiyong Chen (SFS ’13), SAC vice chair, said the group would also consider several other long-term concerns, including proposals for an ad hoc approval process and modifications to the event categories system. Such changes could be implemented by next spring.

SAC commissioners said they hope student group leaders will participate in the committees to shape reforms.

“Groups have a lot of good ideas to improve our system,” Koenig said.  “And while these discussions should have happened from the start, we’re working now to do what we can to incorporate their ideas.”

For some SAC members, the meeting offered a chance to urge the rest of the committee to act quickly to address student criticisms.

“I think the major call-out that we need to consider in the next few weeks is a timeline,” SAC commissioner Kolby Keo (COL ’14) said.

“What actions can we take, what actions are reasonable. If we’re not going to do something and go in one direction, we’re going to have to justify our reasoning.”