Rutgers Scorches Georgetown in Three-Game Series

By Stephen Owens Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown baseball team may have halted its overall losing streak at 13 games last week, but its in-conference losing streak is still going strong.

With three lopsided losses to Rutgers last weekend, the Hoyas are now riding a 15-game skid against Big East opponents. In three games against the Scarlet Knights, the Hoyas were outscored by a combined 37 runs, losing 14-5 and 17-2 in Saturday’s doubleheader, and 15-2 in Sunday’s season finale.

With the losses, the Hoyas slip to 17-31 and their Big East mark dips to a 2-21.

Senior southpaw Derek Pines extended his personal losing streak to six games and yielding nine runs in 5 1/3 innings, raising his ERA 10.34. Pines started off well, shutting the Scarlet Knights out for the first three innings, but a Rutgers’ six-run fourth inning ruined Pines’ outing and set the pace for the rest of the game, which ended 14-5 in favor of the Scarlet Knights.

Brian Delehanty went the distance for the Scarlet Knights, striking out 11 and allowing five runs in seven innings.

Sophomore outfielder Marc Carlini’s first home run of the year in the bottom of the sixth drove in three runs and cut the deficit to nine. That was as close as it got over the course of the weekend for the Hoyas.

Matthew Wolski led the Scarlet Knights in the first game, batting 3-for-4, scoring twice and driving in five runs.

In the nightcap, Rutgers didn’t wait until the fourth inning to crack the scoreboard, tallying 10 runs in the first three innings, the bulk of which came off of senior Franklin Jarman (1-3). Jarman lasted only 2 1/3 innings, allowing eight.

It took five more Hoya pitchers, none of whom lasted two innings, to retire the Scarlet Knights, but not before 17 runs were scored against the Hoyas.

James Wilson (7-1) pitched effectively for the Scarlet Knights, striking out six in six innings while yielding one run.

Sophomore infielder Brian Cassese, in addition to pitching one scoreless inning for the Hoyas, accounted for both of Georgetown’s runs with an RBI fielder’s choice in the sixth inning and an RBI single in the eighth inning.

David DeJesus, Darren Fenster and Michael O’Brien each drove in three runs for Rutgers. O’Brien’s three-run homer in the top of the seventh inning highlighted the scoring for the Scarlet Knights.

In Sunday’s series finale, sophomore Randy Erwin earned his team-leading ninth loss of the season, surrendering eight runs in six innings.

Rutgers would go on to score seven more runs off the Hoyas’ bullpen in the final three innings, winning 15-2.

Eric Brown went all nine innings to improve to 6-4. Brown held the Hoyas to seven hits and two runs, while striking out three.

Senior third baseman Andrew Mariniello and freshman designated hitter Kirwan Elliott drove in runs for the Hoyas while freshman catcher Matt Bok and senior outfielder Sean ignona each had a pair of hits.

DeJesus and Pete Zocoolillo both homered for the Scarlet Knights to insure the series sweep over Georgetown. Fenster and O’Brien each drove in three runs for Rutgers.

The Hoyas enter the final week of the season looking to salvage whatever they have left after this most trying of seasons. Georgetown plays host to Maryland-Eastern Shore today at 2 p.m. This weekend, Big East powerhouse Notre Dame visits the hilltop for a three-game series.

The Hoyas did not qualify for the Big East tournament, which will be played in Norwich, Conn., starting May 19- 22.