Georgetown Rugby captured the Potomac Union Division II Championship, defeating Salisbury State University 22-10.

The victory over Salisbury, which had not lost a game since last spring, when it finished its season third in the country, capped off a 7-0 fall season for the Hoyas.

Georgetown found itself down 10-3 early in the game with its only points coming from sophomore flyhalf Jake Ludwigson’s penalty kick. Before the first half ended, sophomore outside center Greg Suellentrop scored and Ludwigson made the conversion, tying the game at the half.

The second half brought a hard-fought battle from both teams, each trying to use the other’s strategy against them. The Hoyas found their way around Salisbury, with Suellentop scoring another try, junior flanker Dan Hartman scoring a try and Ludwigson capping off the game with a conversion.

Senior captain Dan Williams said only what one could say about a successful season.

“We were all really happy with the way things went and we look forward to the Mid-Atlantic, where we play teams that are not just from Maryland, Virginia and D.C. It’s exciting.”

Williams also commented on the players’ dedication to the program.

“Guys will come to every practice and every game and be active members of the team, which is great,” he said.

The next competition for Georgetown, the Mid-Atlantic Championships, will take place in March of 2003.

On the season, Georgetown scored a total of 348 points and allowed only 50. The Hoyas recorded shutouts against UMBC, George Washington and Mt. St. Mary’s College, three of their seven regular season games and never allowed more than 20 points in a single game. Ludwigson led the team in points with 89, followed closely by Suellentrop with 60 and Hartman with 57.