Rookies Make Grand Debut

The men’s basketball team’s four newcomers stole the show at Saturday’s exhibition game vs. Ft. Hood, scoring 62 of the Hoyas’ points in a 101-68 victory over the Tankers at McDonough Arena. Sophomore guard Anthony Perry, who missed last season due to NCAA Clearinghouse eligibility questions, led the way for Georgetown with 21 points. He showcased quick one-on-one moves and an adept outside shot-he was 7-for-11 shooting, including 3 of 4 from three-point territory. Sophomore center Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje, who missed all but six games of 1997-98 with a broken wrist and a subsequent knee injury, was a terror on the boards, grabbing a team-best 15 rebounds as well as scoring 17 points. He also blocked five shots. Swingman Willie Taylor made the most of his most of his time late in the game, scoring 11 points on 4-for-5 shooting. Guard Kevin Braswell also showcased great skill, including behind-the-back passes and crossover dribbles that led to five assists but also eight turnovers. Head Coach John Thompson offered the thought that Braswell may have been influenced by a famous member of the McDonough Arena audience: former Hoya star Allen Iverson. Iverson, who was wearing a green New York Jets jersey bearing the name of Keyshawn Johnson, was introduced during a timeout in the first half and at halftime met Thompson at mid-court with an embrace and followed him into the Hoyas’ locker room. “I felt extremely good that Allen came,” Thompson said of his former guard and member of the NBA’s locked-out workforce. “[Former Georgetown center] Dikembe [Mutumbo] was at practice [Friday], and Allen came in today and those kids understand that when those guys who have been here are supporting them – that means a lot to them.” As can be expected for an exhibition game so early in the season, play was sloppy – the two teams combined for 63 turnovers. And while the rookies provided the majority of the offense, they also contributed to the team’s errors: Perry, Boumtje-Boumtje, Taylor and Braswell combined for 20 of the Hoyas’ 32 turnovers. As much as the offense may have been sloppy, the defense wreaked havoc on its outmatched opponent. The full-court press and 2-3 zone often led to Ft. Hood turnovers and helped Georgetown pull away in the end. Perry made his debut three minutes into the game, and it was not long until the he received an injury scare. In a scene eerily familiar to last season’s barrage of injuries, Perry twisted his right ankle at the 9:45 mark, silencing the crowd of 2,740. But less than three minutes had elapsed in the game when Perry returned, and his debut got on as scheduled. “Your heart’s in your mouth when you see Anthony go down,” Thompson said, “because we’ve been through that, we went through enough of that last year. “I’ve got to get over that, because last year was the likes of which I’ve never seen in high school or college.” As for the returning players, Jameel Watkins seemed the most impressive, grabbing nine rebounds and scoring nine points. Thompson said he expects to play Watkins and Boumtje-Boumtje in the same lineup often this season. “Jameel, I think, is playing very well,” Thompson said. “I have played them very little against each other in practice. I’ve made them play with each other most of the time.because I want them to get accustomed to each other’s moves and feeding each other and cutting off of each other.” The Hoyas have one more exhibition game, this Thursday against ZTE Hungary. The game is at McDonough Arena at 7:30 p.m. It will be the Hoyas last practice before the regular season starts on Nov. 10 against Temple at the Coaches vs. Cancer Tournament at the Madison Square Garden in New York City.