Richmond Players to Watch

Eric Ward

Though Ward is only a junior in terms of his eligibility, he may be the most experienced player on the field tomorrow. After redshirting his first season with the Spiders, Ward has started for the past three years.

Entering the year, Ward was Richmond’s career record-holder in completion percentage (60.6), and he has only improved this year, throwing at a 65.1 clip.

He has thrown 10 touchdowns and only two interceptions over eight games in this season, adding to his career totals. The former Atlantic 10 rookie of the year has 38 passing touchdowns and another 12 on the ground for his career.

Ward leads a balanced Spider attack: they average 192 yards through the air and 158 on the ground. The signal caller from Atlanta, Ga., also spreads the wealth on offense. Six players have caught touchdown passes, and six have broken the goal line on the ground.

While the Hoyas’ rookie quarterbacks James Brady and Keerome Lawrence would do well to keep an eye on Ward to learn a thing or two from the veteran, the Georgetown defense will need to have all eyes on the Spiders’ playmaker.

Justin Rogers

In his first season playing for Richmond, the redshirt sophomore took two kick returns back for touchdowns and was named a third-team all-American by Sports Network. This year, Rogers has served as Richmond’s return man and a defensive back, and is still no stranger to the end zone. He has taken back two interceptions and one fumble recovery for touchdowns. In comparison, Georgetown’s leading scorers – Lawrence and Brady – have three scores apiece.

Rogers has a nose for the ball, with four interceptions, a forced fumble, a fumble recovery and a blocked kick already this year. He also has 3.5 tackles for a loss.

He has yet to bring a kick back for a touchdown yet this year, but he has given the Spiders good field position. He averages 21.8 yards per kick return and 17.2 yards per punt return. Rogers is second on the team in total yardage.

Playing special teams and defense, Rogers will have plenty of opportunities to make a play.

– Kevin Wessel