Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Stephanie Lynch

The members of the class of 2007 are not the only new faces on campus worried about life in residence halls this year. In early July the Office or Residence Life welcomed two new top administrators: Director of Residence Life Stephanie Lynch and Associate Director of Residence Life William Fox.

Both Lynch and Fox have extensive experience working and living with students. Both administrators have big plans for the upcoming year and see it as a chance to redefine the role of ResLife on campus.

“It’s a wonderful opportunity, with 90 percent of students living on campus, to make residence life an enriching part of their experience,” Lynch said.

When she first visited Georgetown last spring, Lynch said that she was instantly struck by the extent to which Hoyas participated in the university community, from the tents pitched in protest in Red Square to GERMS service to students in emergency.

Fox said he is trying to get to know as much about the ins and outs of Georgetown as possible this fall.

“As new staff, we’re trying to do what all new people do early on,” he said. “We’re new faces trying to meet as many students as possible.”

The duo is excited about several projects in community development that are already underway. This year, the faculty in residence program has increased markedly with four new faculty members and their families moving into student residences, Lynch said.

Fox added that he is also looking to work closely with the Residential Judicial Committee and the Office of Housing Services and furthering faculty cooperation and improving staff development.

“I think students will be very impressed with the quality of the RA’s that we’ve been getting to know over the last few weeks,” Fox said. “They truly embody the ethic of care that we look for in all Residence Life members.”

Lynch said she will take time to “evaluate and assess the place and see where [she] can step in and make a difference.”

“I love this work,” Fox said, “Connecting with students, the focus on service to the community and promoting civility on campus, involving faculty is residential life.”

Lynch comes to Georgetown from the San Francisco Bay area, where she was the Associate Dean of Students at Menlo College. Prior to that, she was the Associate Director of Residence Life at California Lutheran University, a position she held for six years. She began her career in residence life as a resident assistant for freshmen at Central Washington University, where she received her bachelor of science in business administration. She received a master of arts in communication from Eastern New Mexico University while also serving as a hall director.

Before arriving on the Hilltop, Fox spent three years working in residence life and housing at the Catholic University of America. He received his bachelor of arts in political science and communication from James Madison University and a master of arts in higher education administration from the Ohio State University.

The Office of Residence Life is responsible for coordinating training and recruitment of residential life staff, including Resident Assistants and Hall and Area Directors, overseeing issues relevant to student residential life within the Office of Student Affairs and the student-run Residential Judicial Council. The office is also instrumental in developing policies affecting students and campus residences, such as noise, smoking and on campus safety. The office also contributes heavily to the various programs run each year for first-year students.

Former Director of Residence Life Frank Robinson began at Georgetown last fall but resigned in mid-November for undisclosed reasons.