TRACK & FIELD | Reher Shines in Return to Track

The Georgetown men’s track and field team began its indoor season early on Saturday, competing in a tune-up meet hosted by the Naval Academy in which several Hoyas turned in promising performances.

The Blue and Gray’s distance squad, coming off a mileage-heavy cross country season, did not run its top athletes but still garnered first-place honors in two individual events.

Junior Michael Reher won the 1500 meters, breaking the tape with a solid time of 3:57.45. Reherbided his time for the first 900 meters of the race, sticking with the main pack of runners, but was able to aggressively take the lead in the final third of the race. Reher made his move with about 600 meters left, outdistancing the field and picking up the win in convincing fashion. Reher was followed by another Hoya, freshman Andrew Ogle, who crossed in 3:58.72. Ogle, in his first race wearing a Georgetown uniform, was somewhat tentative through the first 1200 meters of the race but picked up the pace with 300 to go, running a blistering final 200 to close in on and almost catch his teammate.

“I was very happy with both Reher and Ogle. Their last three laps was when they were supposed to push the pace, and they did a great job there. Reher was training all fall for this event, so he is set for a great season,” Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Patrick Henner said.

Senior Bobby Peavey delivered another Hoya distance win, taking honors in the 5000 meters with a time of 14:23.30. Through 3200 meters of the race, the pace was comparatively slow, with the winner projected to come in around 14:36.  Peavey, however, accelerated for the next 1000 and then put on a surge with 800 to go.  Having outdistanced most of the field with 200 to go, he ran a blazing final lap to pull away from William & Mary standout senior Alex McGrath by one second.

“I’m really happy with how Peavey ran; he competed very well and executed his race plan. He is in great shape right now, and we’re expecting great things from him this season,” Henner said.

The Georgetown 4×800-meter relay team took second place in 8:02.46. Leading off for the Hoyaswas freshman Kevin Chen, who handed off to Reher for the second leg of the event. Running the third leg was senior Dylan Sorensen, and freshman Michael Minahan acted as anchor.

“[During] our middle two legs, Reher and Sorensen did a pretty good job, but our first and fourth legs weren’t very good, to be honest — they are a little better than that. We were mainly just using it as an opportunity to get some guys in the race, so we really weren’t concerned with the results of this race,”Henner said.

The Blue and Gray also fared well in the sprinting events, turning in a first-place, second-place and third-place performance.

In the 60-meter dash preliminaries, sophomore Tyler Smith ran a lukewarm time of 7.13, which put him into the finals as the No. 6 seed. The finals of the 60 were a different story for Smith, however, as he exploded with a time of 7.05, picking up the win in a photo finish over Hampton junior Quincy Neal.

“I think that Smith is ready for some big things this season,” Henner said. “Last year he was injured and there was never really a timeframe for him to open it up and sprint, so I’m expecting some good things out of him this year.”

In the 200-meter dash, the freshman pair of Mike Andre and Devante Washington took second and third place with times of 22.28 and 22.43, respectively.  Andre and Washington are part of a promising freshman sprints recruit class that has the potential to accomplish great things.

“Andre and Washington are showing a lot of potential, and I think that they form the nucleus of a very good young sprinting group that we have,” said Henner.

Georgetown men’s track and field will be back in action Jan. 5 at the Father Diamond Invitational, hosted by George Mason in Fairfax, Va.