Mitch Fox/The Hoya

With just two games remaining in the season, the Georgetown football team has a chance to close out the year with a winning record for the first time since leaving the Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference in 1999.

Of course, it’s an outside chance.

This Saturday, the Hoyas (4-5, 1-4 Patriot League) square off against Patriot League leading Red Raiders of Colgate 7-3, 4-1 Patriot League) in Hamilton, N.Y.

The meeting will be the first ever between the two teams because of scheduling problems last season.

Colgate enters the game coming off a 28-14 victory over Lehigh, who earlier in the season routed Georgetown by the score of 69-0. eanwhile, the Hoyas have gathered some momentum, winning three of their last four games and should be well rested after a bye-week last weekend.

The Hoya offense, which averaged just 9.6 points in its first five games this season, has awakened of late and in the last four games has averaged 24.5 points. The offensive outburst has largely been because of the efforts of senior third-string quarterback turned starter Dave Paulus. Since assuming the job this season, Paulus has thrown for 13 touchdowns and, with just one interception, has upped Georgetown’s passing offense ranking from 97th in Division I football to 72nd.

That offense will face a tough challenge against a stingy Colgate defense, which has only yielded an average of 17.4 points per game and is ranked second in the Patriot League. The Red Raiders, however, have proven susceptible to the pass, giving up an average of 263.9 yards per game, which means Colgate has the worst pass defense in the Patriot League.

Georgetown’s passing defense has not exactly been spectacular during the course of the season, giving up 257.4 yards per game and 21 passing touchdowns, the most passing touchdowns allowed by a Patriot League team.

This can be attributed to an inexperienced defensive backfield that has often given up big-pass plays to the opposition. For the Hoyas to compete with this conference front- runner, the Georgetown secondary will need to step up and keep Colgate’s receivers in front of them.

In particular the Hoyas will have to focus on Colgate sophomore receiver Luke Graham. Graham has caught 52 passes this season and leads the Patriot League in overall receiving yards (932).

Comparably, Georgetown leading receiver junior Luke McArdle has 40 receptions for 691 yards.

With the final two games of the season, this Saturday against Colgate and next week against Towson (6-3, 3-2 Patriot League), the Hoyas will have the opportunity to prove that they have truly turned their season around and prove that they have fully arrived in the Patriot League. But should Georgetown revert to early season form, it may just prove that the Hoyas’ recent renaissance was because of an easy stretch in the schedule.