Record Start Continues With Win Over Lehigh

The Georgetown field hockey team continued their early-season hot streak and defeated Lehigh 5-1 to improve their record to 4-1, which is the program’s best start in 10 years.

The sophomores have led the team all season, and this contest was no different as sophomore Charlotte Tierney led the team in scoring, netting two goals in the contest while fellow sophomores Kimberly Keating, Catherine Shugrue and Laura Thistle all appeared on the scoresheet.

“We are all able to work together to accomplish our team goals due to our close team and class chemistry,” Tierney reflected after the game.

“They stuck out last year as freshmen, and now that they have a year of experience under their [belts], they are blossoming and becoming huge contributors,” Head Coach Tiffany Marsh said. “We are seeing the beginning of what they can do for the program.”

Shugrue opened the scoring on Saturday off a pass from classmate Annie Wilson, who notched a second assist minutes later when she set Tierney up to score, which made the score 2-0 in favor of the Hoyas. Tierney then put the Blue and Gray up three goals in the 22nd minute off a pass from Shugrue.

“As a team, our goal was to come out with a ton of energy [and] in the first five minutes of the first half we were able to score,” Marsh said. “[We] tried to execute our style of play.”

Keating finished the first half scoring for the Hoyas on a deep strike off an assist from Thistle, as the Blue and Gray carried a 4-0 lead into the break.

“[We] dominated the pace of the game,” Tierney said. “We worked as a unit and we were able to complete our full field movement better than Lehigh did.”

The Hoyas continued to control the game after the restart as Thistle’s hustle for a loose ball in front of the cage paid off with what would be Georgetown’s final goal.

The Mountain Hawks remained scoreless until late in the second half when Melissa Kuhns ended the Hoyas’ shutout bid by beating sophomore goalie Briana Pereira, who had four saves and allowed only the one goal.

“We want to make a name for ourselves,” Marsh said. “We had our first Big East win last year and we want to show people that we are here this year to make something out of Georgetown field hockey.”

The Hoyas look to continue their successful season as they head south this weekend to open their conference schedule against 11th-ranked Louisville (4-2) on Friday at 3 p.m. The Hoyas will then take on Radford (5-1) on Saturday at 2 p.m. before returning home to take on Robert Morris on Sept. 21 at noon.

“As a team, we feel extremely confident with the direction that we are heading in,” Tierney said. “I hope this year that we will fulfill our team motto of `working harder than we did yesterday.'”