Many outside of the program predicted 2000 to be a rebuilding year for the men’s lacrosse team. Georgetown definitely rebuilt itself – all the way to the NCAA quarterfinals before losing to eventual national champion Syracuse.

With the graduation of all-time leading scorer Gregg MacCavera and starting goaltender Brian Hole, as well as having to adapt to a new playing surface, some thought 2000 would be a year for Georgetown to develop its younger players.

Before the season began, the men’s lacrosse team was forced to move from sodden Harbin Field to the AstroTurf-carpeted Kehoe Field. Georgetown adapted just fine to its new home field, going a perfect 7-0 at home last season.

With the loss of MacCavera, then-seniors Scott Urick and Andy Flick took over the attack for the Hoyas. Urick led the team with 45 goals, while Flick was the team points leader with 71 points, adding a team-high 32 assists.

Georgetown was anchored throughout the year by a solid defense that allowed the opposition to reach double digits in goals in fewer than half of its games. Additionally, the team limited its opponents to only 16 goals in 73 attempts (21.9 percent) when playing down a man.

At the start of the season Georgetown leapt out to a torrid pace, winning games against Colgate and No. 24-ranked Army at home before taking to the road to face No. 20 Penn State. For the third straight game, the Hoyas limited the opposition to single digit goals and improved to 3-0 with a 17-8 victory.

Georgetown extended its winning streak to six with wins over No. 19 Butler, No. 20 University of Maryland-Baltimore County and Dartmouth, before finally losing by one goal 13-12 at Duke against the No. 9 Blue Devils. Duke scored what turned out to be the game-winning goal on a shot by Nick Hartofilis with only 2 minutes 38 seconds remaining in the game. Georgetown was ranked fourth in the nation at the time of the loss.

The Hoyas rebounded quickly, winning 14-10 over Navy, who had replaced Duke at No. 9 in the nation. Georgetown took on Stony Brook and buried them under 19 goals en route to a 19-6 victory in a tune up before facing No. 16 Hobart. In one of their toughest games of the season, the Hoyas clawed their way back from a 9-3 deficit to win, 10-9. Then-junior attackman Jamie Sharpe scored Georgetown’s final three goals to secure the victory and up the Hoyas’ record to 9-1 on the season.

Massachusetts scared Georgetown before the Hoyas finally put the inutemen away on a goal by then-junior mid-fielder Mike Henehan, his fourth of the game. The 19-18 victory clinched a first-place finish for Georgetown in the inaugural season of the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference and guaranteed a birth in the NCAA Tournament.

In the home stretch of the season, Georgetown bested Rutgers 14-9, but then suffered its worst loss of the season, falling 24-16 to then-No. 2 Syracuse.

After only two regular-season losses, the Georgetown began its postseason run against Cornell. Georgetown prevailed 14-12 and moved on to face Syracuse for the second time that season. While the Hoyas played respectably, the Orangemen never trailed and overcame Urick’s game-high five goals to prevail 17-13. The Syracuse win marked the second straight year Syracuse ousted Georgetown from the tournament. The Orangemen would eventually go on to win the national championship.

Following the season, five members of the 2000 Georgetown team were named to the United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association / STX Division I All-America Lacrosse Team. Urick, Flick, Henehan, then-senior defenseman Greg Papa and then-sophomore midfielder Steve Dusseau were all named to the team. Henehan finished the season with 18 goals and 17 assists, while Dusseau scored 26 goals and 33 points. The five All-American selections are the second-highest total for Georgetown in the history of the program.