The Metropolitan Police Department responded to a theft last Saturday at Yates Field House, one of six thefts at Yates reported to the Department of Public Safety in the span of an hour.

According to a DPS incident log, DPS received reports of two thefts from Yates at 2:30 p.m. and four thefts at 3:10 p.m. All six complainants reported the theft of a wallet.

Lawrence Weisman, an account clerk at Lauinger Library, reported the theft of his wallet to the MPD at 2:30 p.m. According to the PD report, his wallet held his credit and debit cards, $50, identification cards and checks.

DPS is investigating the thefts, according to the incident log.

Yates Director Jim Gilroy said that although thefts are not uncommon at Yates, Saturday’s thefts were unusual because the locks were broken off of the lockers. Most stolen items, he said, are left out in the open or in unlocked lockers.

Although some cameras around the field house monitor who comes in and who goes out, Gilroy said the areas most susceptible to theft, such as locker rooms, are not under surveillance. However, the six Yates security cameras have been dysfunctional for months at a time in recent years, including at least six months last fall.

“As much as we would like to have cameras in the locker room, we can’t do that,” Gilroy said.

Gilroy said that although the thief could have been a member of Yates, there are ways for non-members to get into the building.

“Often, people hover around outside waiting for someone to bring them in as a guest,” Gilroy said.

There is no description of the suspect in the theft of Weisman’s belongings, according to an MPD incident report.

According to Gilroy, the best things members can do to prevent thefts are to lock up their belongings and avoid signing in people they do not know. He said that the basketball courts are often strewn with unattended backpacks and wallets, which are easy targets for thieves.

The MPD Detective Bureau declined to comment on any progress in Weisman’s case, since the investigation is still open.