Q&A: 45 Years at Georgetown

JULIA ANASTOS/THE HOYA Janette A. Radosh has worked as a records manager in the Office of Admissions for 45 years.
JULIA ANASTOS/THE HOYA
Janette A. Radosh has worked as a records manager in the Office of Admissions for 45 years.

On Thursday morning, University President John J. DeGioia honored dozens of Georgetown employees for over 20 years of service at Georgetown at the Annual Service Awards Ceremony in Lohrfink Auditorium.

“These colleagues, with their dedicated years of service, help to animate our mission and enrich our community in countless ways,” DeGioia said.

Janette E. Radosh has worked at the Office of Admissions as a records manager for 45 years. The Hoya interviewed Radosh to gain her perspective on how Georgetown has changed since she first arrived on the Hilltop.

This interview has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Q: What would you like applicants, parents and high school counselors to know about your office?

A: In my opinion, for the 45 years that I’ve been here, this office always goes the extra mile to get everything that they need to make a decision for the students. They call if there are missing credentials and keep calling until the very last day that they can’t any longer. They email [the students] all the time. They’re very good about doing that so the kids have every chance to get in.

Q: What would students or applicants be surprised to know about your office?

A: [They would be surprised by] how much work we have with the paperwork that goes through the office.

Q: How has the number of Georgetown applicants changed over the years?

A: Over 45 years, the applicant pool has grown from around 3,000 to 20,000, increasing the filing from 30,000 to 200,000 pieces of credentials per year.

Q: What has kept you excited and energized for 45 years?

A: I would say the students. I love my work-study students; they’re just great. And I’ve probably had 500 work-study students over the last 45 years.

Q: What would you miss most about your job if you were to stop working?

A: Most definitely the students. And I love my job, there’s no getting around it, so it’s kind of a hard call. And they always turn over because they graduate, and I start a new group again. So, I just love the job. I’ve been with the dean ever since I’ve started here, and he’s always been great. Georgetown has been like family to me, because I’ve had 17 members of my family that have worked here besides myself.

Q: Do you do anything outside of Georgetown?

A: No, I’ve only worked at Georgetown, never anywhere else.

Q: How has technology changed your work? Has it made it easier, more difficult, or just different?

A: Oh my god, yes. We used to have about 10 labels per folder that we used, and I would have to put a label in the folder at the tracer card so we know where the file is going. And this office used to do financial aid, so we had to have labels for that, and we had to have labels for what at that point was called early decision. Now we don’t do any of that; the folder runs through a machine, and it prints their name and address and what school they’re applying to right on the folder, and the tracer card is also printed, so I don’t have any labels I have to worry with anymore. That was a big timesaver right there when they changed that. The work is much faster; we still get over 20,000 applicants though, with about 10 credentials per applicant, so that’s a lot of paper.

Q: Why did you stay at Georgetown for so long?

A: Over the years of working here, most of my family has worked at Georgetown. That is one of the many reasons it was easy to stay here for 45 years.

Q: How has Georgetown changed over 45 years?

A: Georgetown has changed from a university that had lots of open grassy areas to mostly buildings now, but I still love it.