As the year draws to a close, observant students can draw many lessons from the past year’s trials and tribulations. Freshmen have learned that doing every reading, though encouraged, is by no means necessary; seniors have learned that the 99 Days at The Tombs wouldn’t be as easy (or as cheap) as they imagined; and everyone has learned that the housing system at Georgetown leaves much to be desired. Students can’t help but notice that a large number of beds remain empty even with the semester nearly at its end. It’s hard to rest easy knowing that this discrepancy points to a larger misuse of housing space at Georgetown.

Without any building projects on the horizon for new student dorms or apartments, some creativity must be applied to the housing process. It is clear that the administration could be providing more housing space by using what space it does possess more efficiently. While some students live in cramped rooms that were probably designed for fewer occupants, three people are living in a townhouse on N Street that can comfortably hold five. There are even several singles which are completely unoccupied on campus. That students who have traveled across an ocean to be here are sometimes forced to once again cross of a body of water and live in Rosslyn is unacceptable when there are vacancies in on-campus housing.

Building more student housing will clearly be necessary in the future if the student body continues to expand. For now, however, renovations could provide a stopgap to alleviate some of the stresses on the housing system. Spaces as large as many dormitories’ common rooms are going unused in several townhouses, while the same spaces across the street are fully functional kitchens. Georgetown could also renovate some townhouses’ dank, vacant basements to make them livable so a few more lucky students could live on campus.

While the Editorial Board is not naïve enough to think that such changes would completely alleviate Georgetown’s housing problems, they would be a step in the right direction. Students will not be able to rest easy until Georgetown addresses the nightmare that is on-campus housing.