Charles Nailen/The Hoya Sophomore forward Kemmons Feldman (right) had three shots during last Friday’s game against Indiana. The Hoyas tied Indiana and lost to Boston University in double overtime.

T.S. Eliot once wrote that “in a minute there is time for decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.” Maybe the poet sat in on the UConn/Adidas Classic at Morrone Stadium in Storrs, Conn. this weekend.

Or maybe sometimes art nails down those hard-to-define moments in life.

Whatever the case may be, after two double overtime contests in two days, the Georgetown men’s soccer team should know the value of each minute, or how 90 minutes of hard labor can come to nothing. The team slogged through a 2-2 tie against Indiana University and a disheartening 2-1 loss to Boston University to round out an up-and-down road trip.

“It was not a great weekend, but it wasn’t a bad one either. We outplayed Indiana for much of that game, and the real lesson this weekend is that we can do that with other big teams, too. We can be that good,” head coach Keith Tabatznik said.

Far removed from the trophies and accolades that accompanied last week’s effort at the D.C. College Cup, the Hoyas had to travel north to take on a little steeper competition. First up was Indiana, ranked fifth in the nation in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America/Adidas poll. Indiana struck quickly, netting a goal in less than five minutes. Hoosier sophomore midfielder Brian Plotkin passed the ball ahead to junior forward Ned Grabavoy, who sped down the field, outpaced the defender and kicked the ball across the box into the bottom left corner of the goal.

The Hoosiers could not summon another blitzkrieg attack on the Hoyas for the rest of the first half. Georgetown could not mount a successful counterattack either, and the team only mustered four shots throughout the first 45 minutes. When the first half ended, Indiana still held a 1-0 advantage over its opponent.

“The team was a little intimidated playing a big program like Indiana, and they played tentatively,” Tabatznik said.

The Hoosiers would add to their lead twenty minutes into the second half when freshman midfielder Josh Tudela sent the ball rocketing in an outside shot that Hoya senior goalkeeper Tim Hogan knocked away. The Hoyas could not clear the ball out of the box before Plotkin pounced on the ball and kicked it back into the goal. Indiana, which shut out its first two opponents, looked as if it would remain on top and would keep Georgetown scoreless for the game.

Over 85 minutes had passed before the Hoyas could foil their rivals’ plans. As the ball became lost in the commotion around the Hoosier goal, freshman forward Ricky Schramm came forward to fire the ball past the opposing goalkeeper and into the right corner of the goal. Even though Indiana had just let in its first goal of the season, the team still looked poised to take the game.

Georgetown managed to reclaim the ball in the final minutes and sent it back downfield. In another providential scuffle around the goal, freshman midfielder Daniel Grasso got a hold of the ball, passing it over to Schramm who knocked it in the goal to equalize the score with 50 seconds left on the scoreboard. Indiana did not want to be outdone in last second heroics, but Plotkin’s shot with ten seconds left was nullified after an offside call, preventing any Hoosier celebration.

“Schramm, as most of the freshmen have done, has played better than what we anticipated, but the freshmen have a lot of work to do to adjust to the type of pace they are going to play against,” Tabatznik said.

Much like in the previous match against American, Georgetown faced a strong offensive charge during both overtimes without creating much of a stir on its opponent’s side of the field. Indiana had six shots throughout the two ten minute periods as compared with Georgetown’s one, despite both teams coming up with 12 during regulation. In the end, the Hoyas would have to settle for another tie, this time, though, against a highly-ranked opponent after an extraordinary come-from-behind effort.

The next day, Georgetown made another appearance on the field, this time to battle Boston University. The BU Terriers had a rough start to their season, dropping their first three games, including one to tournament host University of Connecticut, 1-0, the day before playing the Hoyas. BU, however, had faced two top 25 teams in No. 24 UConn and crosstown rival No. 13 Boston College.

The Terriers leaped in front with a lightning quick goal in the first two minutes of the game. Senior midfielder Andrew Dorman fired a shot that bounced back, but junior forward Erik Evjen was in position to knock the rebound into the goal to send BU up a goal. Despite the early goal, the Terriers failed to make a strong impression on offense and the Hoyas ended up outshooting their foes 6-3 for the first half. One of those shots, an unassisted shot from sophomore midfielder Dan Pydo, tied the game up with three minutes to go in the first half.

“A majority of our games, when it comes to halftime, could go either way. It comes down to whether you can take advantage of someone’s mistakes. Some of the goals we’ve given up have been soft goals,” Tabatznik said.

The second half featured many chances, but neither team could capitalize on them. BU outshot Georgetown 9-7, and forced senior goalkeeper Tim Hogan to make three saves throughout the 45-minute period. Both teams battled back and forth in the first half, but neither team could gain the advantage.

Only in the second overtime, two minutes into the period, could one team eke out a goal against the staunch defense of its opponent. The Terriers used a corner kick two minutes into the period to seal the victory. Dorman’s corner sailed to freshman forward Anders Ostli, who booted it past the goalkeeper. After 102 minutes of play, the Hoyas’ hard work came up short in one play.

“It was a dead even game,” Tabatznik said. “We had a shot that went over the bar in the first overtime, and later they had the corner kick and put it in. It almost comes down to those two things alone.”

Next Saturday, Georgetown will go back on the road to Queens, NY, to take on St. John’s University. Last year the Hoyas battled the Red Storm, then ranked No. 1 in the nation, to a 0-0 tie on North Kehoe Field. While St. John’s lacks the prestige of the top spot in this week’s polls, Tabatznik claims that they have a formidable crew, having recently blanked Notre Dame 3-0 on the Irish’s turf. The teams will rumble in New York next Saturday at 8 p.m. under the lights.

“The St. John’s-Georgetown soccer rivalry has always been a battle, and this time it’s going to be an absolute war,” Tabatznik said.